Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
So the rented 70-200mm F4L IS went back today. I'm ashamed to say I took less than a dozen pics with it. I just couldn't find things to shoot with it. It's too slow to use indoors and I really didn't have a need for that range outside this week. The rental experience was useful, though, in that it showed me that if I bought a 70-200 it would sit unused in my bag quite a bit. On the other hand, I used the 135L quite a often when I rented it. It was fast enough to use indoors and just "short" enough to use in my living room for shooting the cats. I'm now thinking I might wait on a 70-200 and get the 135L first. Maybe with a 1.4x TC to give me range when I need it.

This was the second time I rented a 70-200, although the first was non-IS. I didn't shoot much with that one either.
Looking at your excellent Randomography blog, almost every shot there could have been shot with a 7D/f4 combination. I think most people are afraid to push the ISO up where it belongs. I don't own a single lens faster than f/4 and have even had success shooting concerts (however, if I routinely shot concerts I'd probably invest in an f/2.8). Stuff around the house and outside in evening light are all shot at f/4 and smaller.

Still, if you didn't use the lens, then you shouldn't buy one.

Try pushing your ISOs up on your 7D and continue to expose to the right and see if the camera isn't better than you give it credit.

Dave