03-20-2012, 04:24 PM   #2850
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Looking at your excellent Randomography blog, almost every shot there could have been shot with a 7D/f4 combination. I think most people are afraid to push the ISO up where it belongs. I don't own a single lens faster than f/4 and have even had success shooting concerts (however, if I routinely shot concerts I'd probably invest in an f/2.8). Stuff around the house and outside in evening light are all shot at f/4 and smaller.

Still, if you didn't use the lens, then you shouldn't buy one.

Try pushing your ISOs up on your 7D and continue to expose to the right and see if the camera isn't better than you give it credit.

Dave
Yeah I know, Dave. I'm happy with what I can do with the 7D in low light. But I was just not comfortable with the 70-200. For one thing, and I know this might sound dumb, it was too unwieldy. Mounted on my 7D it was a pain to get out of the one bag I own that would fit it mounted. I normally leave the 24-104 mounted, so unless I needed that extra reach, I wouldn't be using it much. And I never need such reach in the house. Even out and about I found I was framing things within the 24-105's range. The 135L is almost exactly the same size as the 24-105, so no handling issues there. And with a 1.4x TC, I'd have a 200mm+ range lens at f2.8 (albeit w/o IS).

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0