View Single Post
      07-22-2014, 02:40 PM   #75
Joekerr
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 Audi S6

Quote:
Originally Posted by upstatedoc View Post
Had a Macallan 18 while in the city over the weekend. Different than the 17. Not better though. Don't see how they can charge $45 more for a bottle of the 18.
Yes, I generally agree with your thoughts on the 18 yr - I do think its very good, but not really worth the premium they put on it. Actually, from a price point, I like the Macallan 12 yr most, though the 15 is pretty good (but IMO, not THAT much better than the 12 - hard to say though). The Macallan 12 in my mind is worth the premium over the 10 yr though.

Oldest scotch I've had was a glass of Macallan 30 yr...had that when I was 29 so I could say I've tried a scotch older than myself...that was really the impetus. I have to say that it was extremely smooth, but I can't imagine what a bottle of 30 yr would run.

Recently I've been enjoying a bottle of Highland Park 12 yr...I wonder if my tastes are changing. I see it as a happy marriage between the softer / fruitier / sweeter Speyside scotches I'm accustomed to, and the peaty scotches of Islay (though nowhere near the smoke / brine of a real Islay scotch).

I don't mind it, starts a little on the softer side but somewhere in the middle there's a little smoke. Not bad at all.

LOL I just re-read my post. I'm such a snob.
Appreciate 0