View Single Post
      09-02-2008, 11:00 AM   #13
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
No but thank you for taking it to the extreme....

1/4 is about the only good test out there these days, along with same driver / same day track times. 0-60 is stupid now because of the power of modern cars and the touchy reliance on traction. Gs same thing.

My point is more along the lines of the variability of a benchmark. Nordschliefe is so long and completely dependent on conditions / driver / traffic. Numbers generated in the cold months of February cannot be compared to July numbers. It is an obtuse marketing tool and we need to guard against it.

Also from a racing enthusiast standpoint, seeing GM / BMW / Nissan use Nordschliefe as a marketing tool is akin to seeing a 20 story high McDonald's banner on the Eiffel Tower, Tower Bridge, White House etc...
I definitely agree that there are far too many variables on the 'ring to really declare one car as absolute king. It really comes down to the right driver in the right car on the right day. There is an element of this in any testing but you can’t just stop testing because of it. I like the Shootouts that some of the big magazines do where manufacturers are invited to bring a car and a driver if they want to and they all compare together, but there are still variables, track temp and air temp changes throughout the day etc.

At the end of the day, I think the ends justify the means in this case. Cars are getting better and better, and we get some cool videos to watch.
Appreciate 0