08-10-2011, 12:18 PM   #1165
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
Do people use those lens filter/guard things to protect their lenses?
I used to all the time, now most of them are sitting on a counter in my bedroom collecting dust.

for a while i would screw them on and off when i wanted to use the camera and just treat them like a screw on lens cap.

All my equipment is insured, so i have a piece of mind when it comes to damaging a lens.

If you're buying high end lenses, all the elements of a filter are pretty much built into the lens as it is, making the separate filter just a piece of glass, just something that will get dirty and for you to shoot through.

I find the filters also collect smudges a lot easier then a high end lens glass as well, so i don't have to clean as regularly.

I actually dropped my 70-200 the other day, and the lens hood took all the impact, the lens cap stayed on, it made me realize, the caps are going to protect it about as much as a piece of glass is. so when walking around, keep the cap on.

But when it comes down to it, a lens is an investment, if you choose to keep a filter on as protection, it's a good choice for you, it's completely a personal opinion based argument, I've been on both sides of the fence, and i've made my choice.

bottom line is, Prime lenses have the best optics, colours, and contrasts over other lenses because they have less glass in them to shoot through. So why add more?

That's my opinion, I'm sure others will argue the value of a good filter to the opposite of me.

I have a Cokin system for my polerizing filter and adapters for most of my lensses, so it's never permanent, and it's one filter for every lens no matter the diameter. It's not there for protection, it's there just to do one job. As well as hold any other filters i might like to use
Appreciate 0