02-24-2014, 05:51 AM   #11
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluelondon View Post
If you watch this video you'll see what I mean. In first gear, it doesn't launch immediately as you said, rather a gradual climb to around 2k-3k then it goes mental.

Both take offs were pedal to the floor. I'm just curious if this is normal for 1st gear.

Would appreciate feedback from other 428i owners too.

Cheers for the video. That's interesting on two accounts...

The first being the sound! Since when did the N20 28i sound that gruff and beefy? Sounds good.

Secondly, that is strange behaviour. You're saying you launched with your foot to the floor immediately? I can see that it seems dopey below 2500rpm and it doesn't seem like the torque converter fully locks up until then either.

Our torque converters have the ability to lock up from 1100rpm and I barely ever detect mine purposely slipping. Mine would also light up the rears (and it's on the big 255s!) if I had DSC fully off like you do. Unless the road is bone dry and stupidly perfect, my DTC would have a little nibble at the power.

However, as I search around YouTube looking at other 328i's accelerating, I see similar behaviour. I also don't see any traction loss, so it must be the UK's shit roads to blame! This may be the auto transmission's method of preventing excessive traction loss through torque converter slippage as it looks like more load is placed on the engine at ~2300rpm hence why the needle slows down at that point then takes off again.

As an aside, I'd love to hear yours rev out - not heard the 28i making a sound like that before!

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0