View Single Post
      01-04-2018, 08:51 AM   #29
leew88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E60 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s View Post
I'm very cautious to advise knowing how easy it is to brick a Tricore ECU and given I had other tools and a backup that I could reflash on, so obviously do your own research and always be prepared for the worst, but for a post 2007 car you need DCAN, pre 2007 KLine. A general K+DCAN USB lead with a FTDI FT232R in it should be fine, and if you can read the DME with WinKFP and program other modules, you should be good to go. What are you trying to flash on?
Hi Tim, thanks for quick reply.

I have a D-CAN OBD cable originally bought from BMtechnic which went bust a few years ago so can pretty much trust it, used it many times to flash EGS for the sport auto firmware without issues using a external power supply, but I've heard horror stories of failed flash on certain modules with signature check errors at the end resulting in bricked ECU's. What's the chances of a BMW indy recovering my failed flash should this happen?

My E60 530i N53 DME has a very old version is firmware zub 7611492, my WINKFP with latest datum has identified a new version zub 8603176, according to www.bimmerprofs.com later versions have better mis-fire / rough running algorithms so less chances of incorrectly diagnosing cylinder mis-fires which is so common on our N53 DI engines.
Appreciate 0