View Single Post
      02-29-2008, 04:14 PM   #51
timzerofive
there is no spoon
Rep
Drives: 330i manual

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Again, this is working out to be the best season ever, thats why we can be having this kind of discussion.

Kobe does have something to prove, and thats another reason why Lakers is the team to beat. Last night's game in Miami, the commentators brought up something interesting. They said if Kobe were to trade places with Wade at the start of the season, Miami would be in the playoffs at the end of the year. Kobe would not have allowed them to have won only 10 games.

Bynum is a threat. I don't think though anyone thing he's the x-factor, or a Shaq-like players. But the fact is with the way Lakers are playing now which is at an extremely high level, when they add back in one of the most exciting center in the NBA right now, on paper it would be scary. Bynum himself might not be scary, but no one will say they are not at least a bit comprehensive of how well the laker CAN play once they get back Bynum.

Let's not forget Ariza either. Is Ariza a dominant player? By anyone's standard, no. But, he fills in the hole on defense and he's a player that can do the little things. His return can improve the Lakers as well.

On Gasol... what you're saying is exactly what makes him so valuable. He is just effective when not going to the basket as when he is making the slip screen and getting dunks.

You can have a team who can stuff the interior, but Gasol can just get easy short perimeter shots all day. And if that draws out the defender, it leaves the interior wide open for Bynum to work on. Having 2 7-footers with drastically different skill sets is what makes Bynum's return and re-integration such a big hype. Then you got Lamar diving all the time from the top of the key, this only leaves Fisher, Farmar, Sasha, and Vlady wide open on the outside.

You're right though, Lakers might not be able to win it all this year because all the moves other teams made in response to the Lakers trade, but the next 3+ years... Whether they are the team to beat right now? I think being at the top of the western conference, having a 10 game winning streak, winning 13 of their last 14, and got a 7-2 record on a 9 game road trip makes them the team every other team targets right now.