08-06-2013, 11:46 PM   #4535
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
^ niiice!

QUestion for those that read "understanding exposure" by bryan peterson- howcome he used f/22 and even f/32 in some portraits printed in his book? Even the "who cares" apertures like f/8 and f/11 were used as well. Can someone shed some light on this?
Not sure what you mean by "who cares" apertures. Whenever I do any form of studio portraiture (with strobes and lighting), I generally stop down to those small apertures for sharpness and to capture every single detail. Also, this is usually when i'm shooting for someone who is showcasing their jewelry or clothing to be sold, so they want to see every single detail.

Not sure why he would stop all the way down to 22 or 32 though, at that point diffraction is kicking in and killing your sharpness.

Granted it also depends on which lens i'm shooting with, but generally in the 70-135 range and sometimes as far in as 200, the depth of field becomes thinner as you get closer, so you would have to stop down if you're looking to get things in focus. Sometimes I want Bokeh, and sometimes I don't.
Appreciate 0