View Single Post
      04-04-2024, 09:17 AM   #30
M3SQRD
Major General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3,G20 330ix,F22 240iX,F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgb1974 View Post
Here is a picture of the rear rotors about 1,000 miles post-replacement of the rear rotors and pads. The whirling sound is still present and I have to say has become very annoying. Brakes seem to function very well but the whirling sound and sensation that something is dragging (which feels like it’s coming from the front) makes me think there’s something up, maybe with the front calipers. Like the pistons are not retracting completely.

Recall that I had the front brakes thoroughly cleaned and lubricated about a month ago. They have been giving me this weird dragging sensation ever since. Dealership foreman drove the car and told me nothing is wrong but he did not perform a brake inspection. Thoughts?
Rear rotors look fine and have a uniform layer of pad material/transfer.

Can you audio record the sound? Also, please take pics of the front rotors.

You’d see brake fluid all over a wheel(s) if a piston(s) weren’t retracting properly and you’d likely sharply move left/right under braking. If you’re doing your own brake work, I’d have you pull the front pads and look for odd wear patterns or tapering. I’d also have you flip pads in both front calipers (swap inner pads with outer pads). This might help isolate whether it’s a pad or caliper issue. Are your winter tires directional? If not, flipping the left and right side wheels may help prove/disprove it’s coming from the winter tires. Do you feel the same thing in the pedal when you brake hard, med or soft? Besides the noise and pedal/dragging feeling, how do the brakes work under a panic stop (extremely high pedal force)? Is the feeling in the pedal constant or intermittent? While braking, if you were to release the brake pedal at ~5 mph, do you hear nothing (excluding tire noises) or a constant noise or a periodic noise? When you say you had the front brakes cleaned and lubricated, what exactly was done? There’s really nothing to lubricate in a fixed caliper (pad retaining pins/guides?).
Appreciate 0