10-12-2016, 03:07 PM   #13
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpnh View Post
So are you saying that the culture/values/history of the swiss that have accomplished a great many wonderful things is bad because they dont want to see the forementioned destroyed?
Accomplished what?

(Seriously: what? In the grand scheme of the human race, the Swiss have contributed almost nothing independently -- and what they have contributed has been almost completely at the behest of another nation or nations. Example 1: the Red Cross. Example 2: CERN.)

In Switzerland, freedom and federalism are functions of isolationism and self-service, both values deeply rooted in centuries of canton-style rule that followed centuries of domination by the Romans (which is the root of the Swiss preference toward secularism. They know better.). Switzerland's model of existence simply cannot exist in most other countries. It's not possible because it depends on other countries not like itself for its well being.

(I could get into similarities between the U.S. before WWI and Switzerland, which modeled its present political system after the U.S. back in the early 1800s, but I won't. Not the place.)

At this point: distancing. Sorry for the hijack.
Appreciate 0