View Single Post
      04-12-2022, 04:54 AM   #19
Prolix-2
Private
Rep
Drives: Volvo + Misc other Euro cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_Legend View Post
square set up on X-Drive came like that from the factory. If It was Rear wheel drive those wheels would of came staggered. For the steering wheel Rewrapped try Cobywheel.com
Ah, that makes sense. I didn't see that mentioned in the sales brochure for the year with the difference between the awd vs rwd setup. I knew some of zimmas of this vintage had staggered tyres even with awd.

--

I had actually seen Cobywheel as an option for recovering the steering, but it looks like they are only offering in alcantara as a leather option? I really don't want alcantara or any suede like material for this steering wheel. A dedicated driver's car, sure, it would be fine, but this car will have a shared use. I had something more in mind like the wheel I had done for my last project car (see attachment). I cost a pretty penny as it was done in the UK, but I was very happy with the fit and finish. It was made thicker with a mixture of smooth and perforated sections.

I bought another N51 M-sport, nearly a twin to the blue one yesterday, so maybe it's steering wheel will be in better shape than the 135 or others. I'm really puzzled as to why these wheels have faired so very badly. The 1 series wheel looks like the entire unit is cracking and rotting out! It's quite astonishing and I'll have to get some photos of it. I don't know if that's even usable for a core for refinishing! Thankfully the 3s, even with some rougher wheels, are fully usable and fully acceptable for cores as well.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
M3_Legend359.50