01-02-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
BrasWien
Private
Rep
Drives: 320d xDrive GT Modern Lines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayseed View Post
BrasWien,
Your one inch on either side clearance - that is with mirrors folded in to the sides of the car?
Hayseed in NH USA
Hello, Hayseed,

Before placing the order, I took a test-drive GT from the dealer to the garage in order to make sure that it would fit in there (see pictures).

The problem is that there are two white walls at the very entrance of the garage (you might see them on the first picture, although it is not very clear). These are the narrower space I mentioned. There is about one inch of free space there with mirrors unfolded.

Inside the garage there is more lateral space. After trying to park a few times, my wife and I noticed that we could turn the car slightly to the right side after crossing the entrance walls, so that there would be more space for myself than you will see in the photos.

With folded mirrors there is more free space between the white walls. However, I noticed the width of the car at the back (near the rear wheels) is almost the same as the width of it in the front with unfolded mirrors.

I thus decided to order the package which includes electrically folding mirrors. I also added the parking distance control (PDC) and the rear camera, as there might be pedestrians or children walking behind the car. The PDC always screams because it is a too narrow space, but it has the advantage of showing in red the side of the car which is closer to the wall.

One of my neighbours, who shares an identical garage, has bought a 4 series coupe, and has a similar difficulty of access.

Appreciate 0