05-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #27
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
Ok So I did some research on purchasing the d7000 and it seems like the ones around $1k are not US manufactured which means no warranty, and some are from grey market. So i'll just get it from a reputable place like amazon or locally from best buy. I'll pay more but This way I'm covered.

As far as the lens I'm going to start out with the 18-105. I'll just be shooting a wide range of things to begin learning, does anyone think this lens will not be ideal for me? should I consider any other lens?
No D7000 is "US manufactured." They either come through US distribution channels or they don't. Although I've never understood why it makes a difference through which channel the camera was distributed. Canon is the same way. Like a 7D bought in Europe is less worthy of a warranty than one bought in the US? How does that work?

But you're on the right track as far as warranty. If it doesn't cost much more, buy the one with the full warranty. If it does cost a lot more, decide if you're willing to risk having to pay for repairs should something go wrong. If the warranteed camera is say, $300 more, do you think the camera will fail to the tune of $300 during the warranty period?

As far as lenses go, if you can afford it, you might want to consider the 18-200mm. You get a more usable range and it's a great lens according to friends who own one (I don't).

"Life is uncertain, eat bacon now."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0