United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaximusJ View Post
Note taken.

According to the manufacturer's specs, my manfrotto pistolgrip should be able to support my 70-200 hooked to the D800 without a problem, but its not as precise as I would want it to be. It doesnt stay locked on target when I release the clamp; even with friction at the max.

Might as well sell it since its almost brand new, buy the RRS and call it a day. The BH-55 from RRS can handle the biggest lenses so I know I will be ok whatever setup I got on there. And since I might get the 200-400 one day; might as well buy my new ballhead with that in mind.
The RRS will blow away the Manafrotto.

This is an area where I believe in overkill. Combine one of these top ballheads with one of the top 6X carbon fiber tripods and you'll have an ultra-steady platform for scenics, long exposures and big lenses.

As much as I encourage using solid, steady ballheads and tripods, I all recommend hand holding the 70-200mm and 100-400mm lenses in most applications. For anything moving fast, you'll be more flexible and experience a higher keeper rate with hand holding.

The main times that I use my tripod with my 500mm lens is in a blind or when I'm set up under a nest for long times, waiting for something interesting to happen.

Dave