07-05-2014, 05:03 PM   #52
Dalko43
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Toyota 4Runner Trail

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennQNYC View Post
Admittedly the last time I drove a car on-track with a conventional H shifter pattern was a Ferrari 355 Challenge years ago... But I drove a Z51-equipped C7 Corvette on the track a few weeks ago and the manual transmission felt slow and clumsy compared to the Porsche SMG and even my F30's ZF 8 speed.

I'm not sure I'll ever own a manual again.
I think you meant porsche's version of DCT (called PDDK) not SMG, right? I believe they are different systems.

It's all about what the driver is looking for. If driver involvement and engagement are your priorities then manual is the way to go. If slightly faster shifts and slightly better fuel economy appeal to you then DCT may be more applicable.

The manual shifter is slower, and perhaps less refined, but that doesn't really factor in when people opt for that transmission. I think there are enough 3rd pedal purists on the market that the manual transmission will live on, though in decreasingly smaller numbers, so long as there is a need for a hydraulic transmission.

As soon as we convert to 100% electric motors, this whole conversation becomes a moot topic.
Appreciate 0