View Single Post
      04-18-2011, 01:53 PM   #39
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
100% Seabrook's fault .Seabrook skated behind the net looking backwards, thats just a dumb thing to do. People say Torres should have let up. This is playoff hockey -- you dont let up, you make him pay for his mistake. It is impossible for Torres to make contact without contacting the head. This was a clean hit to a guy that was chasing the puck who's body was facing him -- his head was just turned the other way . The refs got it right and so did the league.
I agree that Seabrook was a dunce for going after that puck like that.

I honestly think Torres was surprised by the fact that Seabrook went in in such a vulnerable manner. Seabrook is always standing guys up who try to hit him and doesn't shy away from the opportunity to counter a hit. However, contact with the head specifically as a target is forbidden in the NHL. As I said before, when things move as fast as they do in the NHL, sometimes a hit will incidentally be made with a player's head but in this case it looked like Torres did have enough time to see that he wasn't going to contact Seabrook's body first.

As far as your claim that it was a "clean hit", I dunno about that. "Clean" would imply that it didn't violate any rules. Technically Seabrook hadn't played the puck and so interference was the right call (although I think interference in that case is bullshit, but that's the way the NHL calls it so....). His elbow was against his body and he didn't leave his feet to make the hit. It's all about whether or not the ruling body thinks Seabrook's head specifically was the target, and in this case I'm surprised they didn't suspend him, but they've spoken and that's that. Initially it may not have been, but IMO Torres probably was aware of the fact that he was going to hit Seabrook's head while he still had time to let up a bit.

In the end, I'm sure Chicago will retaliate. I'm disappointed in Toews' public response; it's not one of a mature captain.
Appreciate 0