View Single Post
      01-10-2011, 11:18 AM   #20
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

What do you want in a HUD? If it's basic stuff like speed then google "Globaltop HUD". There are iPhone apps that you can get to reflect off the windshield too that give you any info that the iPhone can give you -- speed, direction, altitude, G forces, etc. Problem with the iPhone is you have to reach up on the dash to change anything, unless someone has come out with some sort of bluetooth remote that I'm not aware of.

The M3 windshield will give a double image though. You can place something like an iPhone screen protector, or darn near any piece of clear flexible plastic, where the image will be to get rid of this double image, mostly. I did this with my V1 remote display for a while. You need to rewire the seven segment LED of the RD to reverse the image. Not hard if you're handy with a soldering iron. But I never really had it looking slick enough -- like OEM -- so it wasn't good enough for me. However, if you don't mind hanging stuff on your dash then these sorts of thing would be fine.

There have been other more elaborate devices but I've only seen prototypes of these plus there would be a big installation effort. But they would look more integrated. In short, to make it look right you'd need to spend a lot of time, effort and/or money. It's probably not worth it to most of us.

Cheers.