Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 340Xi MG 2017

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
bastard.

Don't RAID SSDs, it'll be a waste of money, unless you have lots you want spend on it. Here are my recommendations:

1. If you want a laptop, buy a 512gb Crucial M4 SSD card to put in it. Then, you can buy a NAS (I can recommend a few depending on your budget) and have a RAID 5 or RAID 6 set that does all your backups.

2. If you want a desktop, a PC or a Mac will be fine. I've been using Macs for over 20 years, so I'm partial to them. However, I've sold many custom PC workstations to other photogs who have been satisfied. With a desktop you can do internal RAID 5 or RAID 6, depending on your budget, and it'll be pretty fast (definitely much faster than your current setup). You don't have to worry about the monitors on a PC, because Apple's monitors, while good, are overpriced.

If you want a quote from me (rather my company) on the best system I can get you (either Mac/PC/laptop), let me know what you want to run (Windows 7 or Mac OS), how much space you think you'll need, what size monitor(s) you want, and what your budget is... feel free to PM me.
Dave: Good to hear back from your wife. Good news.

I dont want to go raid; that was just an expression

I have an approx budget of 2k in mind. In fact, I was looking at the 27in 2,7ghz I5 Imac; 1tb hd and 4gb ram that fits right in my budget. If I could find the equivalent in PC, but with a screen as nice as the Thunderbolt, I will most likely stick with Windows.

If you want to send me a ballpark quote, feel free, but dont work too hard on it since I dont know exactly WHEN this purchase is gonna happen. I'm also afraid that shipping will kill the deal, but I'll gladly consider the option.

Dave: I like your backup workflow. In fact, this is what I would like to use, but I want a better system for now and spend on backups after.

Question for the old school photographs: Is the CD/DVD backup option reliable in very long term or is it just a myth that you get read errors over disks burned like 10 years ago?

Somebody told me about it and it makes sense. Some of my old backup files on cd from 98-99 were corrupt, but MOST of them were ok. A little bit slow to read, but still ok! So i've then decided to opt for TWO copies of each. I also have to add that I never use those disks, I always use the copy that is on my external HD.

So am I safe enough? I think so; but would like to know what you guys think.

If so, I might opt for SSD only for speed up my PP; not for backup.

Jet Black '06 E90 325I
[Garage]
Appreciate 0