View Single Post
      04-25-2023, 02:49 PM   #1
andawheee
I love speeding through underpasses 😇
Rep
Drives: BMW 128i

Confused regarding what tire size I can switch to with stock 2013 128i rims

I have a 2013 128i and the tires that came with the car are 205/50R17. I'd love to get wider tires and have read here and there that it's possible to do this without changing the stock rims. This would be ideal for me. I can afford new tires. I can't afford new rims.

I've read about 225/45R17 being put on stock rims, and I called the local BMW service center to ask about it and the guy recommended not 45R17 but to go with 225/50R17. He said the 45R17 wouldn't be as comfortable as what I have now.

I have no idea what the hell I'm doing here.

I don't have any crazy mods to my car, besides picking out my own rotors and brake pads and bringing it to the mechanic, lol. I'm a gearhead but not that technically savvy just yet.

I'm learning as I go and I have no idea what to do with these tires.

One of my tires has lost half of it's tread due to an alignment issue and needs to be replaced for safety reasons. I need 1 new tire at least and I thought if I'm buying one anyway, why not buy two and start with changing out the rear tires to work towards the aesthetic I'm going for.

I've checked tire size calculators and the 225/50R17 is said to have a Diameter Variance of 3.14% and apparently anything over 3% is no bueno.

The 225/45R17 only has a Diameter Variance of -0.39% which is apparently okay.

I found another site that shows you all the different tire sizes you could technically get.. but is a tire like the 255/40R17 or the 295/35R17 actually an option? When I see how much wider they are, I can't make sense of how the same rim could possibly accommodate such a fat tire but I'm not the expert so .. it's a bit confusing lol.

So what should I do?? Which tire size do I get? I'd love to get something wider and I'm having a hard time knowing what to do because I'm not an expert at this stuff, and I keep hearing mixed opinions.

Your advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by andawheee; 04-25-2023 at 04:19 PM.. Reason: wanted to add more info and tire size calculator screenshots
Appreciate 0