View Single Post
      05-17-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
xjet04
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 AR M4 Comp Xdrive

So I picked up my car after the MPPK install on Wednesday after work. It was a short drive home, so I got limited seat time. I've worked every day since. And every time I have driven to and from work, it has been raining, or there has been heavy traffic, or both . So, I've put on over 200 miles since the install, but haven't had much chance to explore the new feel of the car. And since it's been raining at all the wrong times, I haven't even been able to roll the windows down to hear the exhaust. I do have the MPE, but can't really hear that much with the windows up, especially with the rain pounding on the windows.

My F32 was built in February of this year. When I picked it up, the first thing I noticed was the steering in Comfort mode felt like the old Sport mode. And the feel of the steering in Sport now feels like the old Sport +. I was under the assumption that since my car was so new, it would not need updated software in addition to the MPPK. I know there has been a good deal of back and forth on here about the MPPK being the cause of the change in steering feel as opposed to the DME update. I personally belong to the camp that believes the changed steering feel is due to a DME update, not the MPPK, due to the fact that BMW says nothing about this when promoting the MPPK. Either way though, between the time I dropped off the car and when I picked it up, there has definitely been a change. Why? I cannot say for sure.

My Sport Displays now read 400/400. And some of my settings needed to be reset, some did not. It seemed pretty random.

(Side note: The track number from my IPod that used to be displayed on the I-Drive screen --in the little box that shows time and signal strength-- is no longer there after the update. Anyone else experience this?)

On my short, dry, drive home from the dearlership, I didn't notice any real change in throttle response in comfort mode. I don't normally use comfort anyway, so I really don't care. In sport mode, I noticed a subtle increase in throttle response. What seemed to stick out more to me was the engine seemed more free revving. There was a small, subtle increase in power and acceleration compared to pre-tune. Two cars ago, I got a Dinan Stage II tune on my 135i. That was very noticable (and awesome). This is not that at all. And I know it is not meant to be, and it is not, therefore, what I was expecting.

I was hoping for a little more than what I have seen so far though. But lots of guys have said it takes a while for the tune to "break in." So I'm going to give it some more time before I pass judgement one way or the other. Maybe some more miles will change things. And maybe some time behind the wheel when it is not raining will give me a chance to see things more clearly.

And hopefully I will be able to hear more sweet burble action soon, or possibly a little woosh from up front. So far I've been unable to notice any change in sound from either end of the car. I've read countless posts about people loving their MPPK + MPE combo. I've got it and I want it.

Hopefully more to follow?