Thread: drool
View Single Post
      10-27-2008, 07:09 AM   #35
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Ideally, source the near classic of your dreams before it becomes a classic and the price goes through the roof. Anything from the mid 90s strike your fancy?

Older, pristine cars like E30 M3s would be a complete joy to own and operate. Even if many bland cars of today can equal it in what the public perceives as "performance," few can match its emotional appeal and actual well balanced performance. Plus it's just cool to have something old and pristine that you rarely see...especially when it's rolling art like the E30 M3.

I had and still have the feeling that my Z4 M will be a car that in 20 years has a similar appeal as the E30 M3 does today. By then many if not most will remember the car wasn't the best seller, but was the last car to use the highly respected S54 motor, has classic sports car proportions, and is very fun to drive. Fact is there will be very few around in 20 years as there are few today compared to current MY BMWs. The slow sales of today will work in its favor way down the road.

If you ever wanted a E46 M3, prices are falling and there are still many around that are barely used. It's also destined to be a classic and it still defines the industry standard sports coupe, 3 model years after ending production.