09-26-2019, 10:36 AM   #7
chris_flies
Sideways and Smiling
Rep
Drives: In Exuberance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by spidertri View Post
Oh yeah, I forgot you swapped the eeprom over to the other cluster.

I'm definitely not that ambitious, I wanted to go with the least invasive method possible, so just accessing the eeprom, not desoldering it, to reset the VIN is good with me. Luckily I was able to find a cluster with less miles than my car so I won't have to worry about clearing the mileage out.

I've been reading about the Perfekt toolbox and it really seems like with that you'd be able to correctly reprogram the tach and oil temp gauge to just use the 135i cluster without needing to modify the actual gauge faces.

Do you think it's possible to do that with INPA instead?
The beauty of this method (all above) is that you're simply writing your car's VIN and option list to the cluster. The 135i cluster already "knows" how to correctly display tach over the 8k RPM scale and to display oil temp correctly. You likely won't need Perfekt Toolbox at all using this method. I'll have the rest of this guide (setting needles with INPA and installing the cluster) finished by mid-day Saturday, at the latest.

I had to modify the faces because I swapped a 128i EEPROM into the 135i cluster. The EEPROM thought it had the 7500rpm scale and an instant MPG gauge, but it was simply in the wrong body. I did try using Perfekt Toolbox, but then the communication issues bit me in the ass and it didn't work, and killed my cruise control at the same time. Everything just went down hill with that gauge cluster after messing with Perfekt Toolbox (not knocking it, because I did have a jankily-modded cluster).

Last edited by chris_flies; 09-26-2019 at 10:42 AM..
Appreciate 1
spidertri402.00