12-12-2014, 12:30 AM   #1
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Am I the only one annoyed by this

Hey all,

I am a little bored so I figured I would throw this out to the masses.

Am I the only one annoyed by the trend toward useless grills and ducts on cars? I'm talking about the ones that look to be big scoops but have a blank plate or just molding in the mesh.

Case in point is the new 3 and 4 series. When you go up to the sport and M-sport lines they change up the front fascias and add these enormous grills that go nowhere. Perhaps it is my engineering brain going crazy but why the heck would I want a car with useless (and presumably draggy) blocked off grills on the front.

Even the new M3 and M4 have a little of this going on in the form of the extra creases on the front ducts. It just seems like a waste and a design element for design sake. The old M3 also had those little vents in the hood that, as far as I know, did nothing too.

Another example I just saw is on the new Mercedes GLE Coupe: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/12/09/m...oupe-official/ Those front side scoops do nothing!

These kinds of things remind me of the fake hood scoops you would see on Toyota SUV's.

End of my rant.

Last edited by jwzimm; 12-12-2014 at 11:05 PM..
Appreciate 0