07-27-2014, 10:33 AM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspannu View Post
A bit of a background...

I had a 520 with VDC (Variable Damper Control - Option 223) and am convinced I would not buy a car without it. The VDC difference in driving is very much noticeable. I then swapped this for a 535D (the 2.0 just did not have enough oomph); again with VDC and as before, no complaints - love the ride. This was on 18" wheels.

I am now going in for another 535. Should I update to Adaptive Drive? I am also looking to get 19" wheels this time or should I stick to the 18s?

So, any first hand experiences of Adaptive Drive with 19" - Is it worth the extra money over VDC?.
(I am definitely buying at least the VDC; no debate there)

Highland Pete: Any comments - I am aware you are a fan.
You are correct, I rate AD as the best option on my car. I run 18" summer wheels out of choice, "function over fashion" for me. 17" winter wheels, as I'm after the same ride quality in winter when the tyres typically run colder. This definitely works out well for me, no downsides to winter use on RFTs.

I tried AD on an F10 with 19" wheels, I'd say there is only a little difference over 18" wheels, but 18" do give the edge for ride quality over poor surfaces. I understand AD was set up around the OEM fit 18" wheels, so really is the 'sweet spot'. For me no regrets, as I have got what I was after in the F11 wagon, helped a little by the rear self levelling air suspension.

Regarding Adaptive Drive itself, you clearly know the benefits of VDC, but it is the active roll bars (ARS) which is the feature which impresses most. The ability to have a car as big as the 5-series cornering so flat, even in the more comfortable settings. ARS has two base modes, one used for Comfort and Comfort+, a firmer control working in Sport and Sport+. ARS also helps for straight-line ride comfort, as single wheel bumps don't copy across the car. To get such benefits, without any lack of handling ability and body control, is what we really all want from a suspension system.

Adaptive Drive is a brilliant bit of kit, shrinks the 5-series, IMO. The ability to set the modes, widen the driving envelope, without the limiting compromises of a passive suspension system.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0