09-17-2013, 05:07 PM   #24
Dozhdbog
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
I think you’re confusing 3 separate transmissions. In order of strongest to weakest

6MT- Just a very robust ZF box, I’m not a fan of the engagement feel, but it’s very stout. Simple clutch swap and you can hold aggressive RB power levels no problem.
6AT Steptronic- HP21/19 for the E8x and E9x, I would imagine the N54 powered E60s have the same box as well. For an auto it’s pretty robust, but you need to be smart about how you drive once you clear stock turbo power levels (really, once you get around 500wtq). If you roll into boost and can stay out of full bore launches, it will hold RB type power levels well w/ the Alpina TCU flash.
DCT- Fundamentally different than the other two boxes, no one really knows exactly what it’ll hold, but it slips well before either 6AT or 6MT get cranky. There is a clutch pack upgrade out there, doesn’t seem particularly good in my opinion, but I have no personal experience w it.

No idea how BMW approaches PPK, I’ve never looked into the boost, advance, etc.
I was going off what BMW says about the ZF a/t in the 335 vs the mt. The PPK offers less torque in the manual, and the reason given me was that the A/T is more robust and can handle more power. Apparently the same ZF automatic transmission is used in other cars where the OEM output exceeds 400tq.