Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I went into the local camera shop and was inquiring about a Canon 6D. The Sony rep quickly snagged me and pitched the A7 very hard. Essentially everything sucked compared to the A7. The boy had blinders on. "But what about my existing investment in Canon lenses"? There is a converter that makes that possible.

My biggest gripe was how uncomfortable it was to hold with any Canon lens attached. The grip is simply too small, and the camera is incredibly top (lens) heavy.
I shoot with several Sony guys, shooting birds and wildlife. They are more common around here than Nikon guys, but not near as thick as Canon shooters. They get great files, but they all moan about the lack of super-telephoto lens selection and the high cost of the ones that are available. Also, several tried the translucent mirror and went back to the floppy mirror models because of AF issues. Still, Sony is making huge strides and the next generation will close much of the gap, but the long lens issue is likely to stay a problem. Only wildlife and sports photographers are likely to have any trouble whatsoever with the translucent mirror.

For a lot of general usage, the Sony's are top drawer, but if you've started with Canon lenses, stick with Canon.

Dave