11-13-2014, 04:24 PM   #12
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush1326
I wonder what insurance companies do when one of those ridiculously priced coupes gets totaled.

At the lower end the prices are not that far off but on the low mileage or "rare" colors the price difference can be 15K.

When you say twitchy, compare it to an s2000 pre Stability control better or worse?

I do like the roadsters too and they are a much better value IMO

themush
Z3 roadsters are a wet noodle (the coupes were 2.6x stiffer and the Z4 roadster was 2.4x stiffer, with the Z4 coupe being slightly stiffer than the Z3C), at least before adding some chassis reinforcement.

Having said that, both Z3's are a little loose with the E30 trailing arm suspension, soft bushings and ample torque. It's pretty predictable though, once you get used to it. I had no issues in rain and snow, but did have to tone it down a lot from dry conditions of course.

It's less of a snap oversteer situation than the first gen S2k, more similar to the "dumbed down" second gen in my experience, but I've spent more time in the first gen. The big difference between the S2k and MC came down to ill advised torque application in the MC, that seems to be the bigger track mistake I saw from various drivers. The tight wheelbase, a little load up in the bushings and the high spring rate led to a windup effect that Jack in the boxed right in the apex countless times.
Appreciate 0