View Single Post
      09-28-2010, 12:29 PM   #35
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by MenTul View Post
Can you confirm the motor in question is a 222hp I4 turbo? Not mentioned in OP.
No, but it specifically says the motor will be a new one that BMW is currently developing and has not used in any cars. The only new gasoline engine BMW is developing right now in the 200hp category is the turbocharged I4.

I happily would wager a month's car payment that it will be the turbo 4. I am extremely confident I am correct here. For what that's worth.

Quote:
Again, replacing a 210hp I4 turbo with a 222hp BMW motor is no great advance in performance. The 2.0L engine in an EVO puts out 291hp.
Saab uses EcoTec I4 turbo's making as much as 240hp today. Just FYI.

That said, they offer a range of turbo fours starting as low as 150hp. It could easily be the case that the BMW motor will offer the same or better efficiency and cleaner operation as these lesser offerings while making more power.

Also, as I said, they have the GM V6 turbo as well. They probably prefer a higher displacement lower pressure motor for their near-300hp applications. Hence they'll stick with the V6 in these cases for now, rather than pursuing an I4 like Mitsubishi or the new Hyundai motor.
Appreciate 0