Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wootloops View Post
It seems like manual 128s are getting more and more desirable as time goes on... when they were new, the 135i took the spotlight... but now that higher HP turbo cars are the norm, the more old-school N/A BMW experience is becoming more sought after and harder to find. Even if it's lower on power and slower in a straight line, the overall driving experience is special. To your point, the new BRZ/GR86 is one of the few cars that lives on with that same concept.

I don't think the value of your car is going to drop over the next 3 years... If the current trend continues it will probably rise in value. So you are probably right, that buying another 128 will be cost prohibitive.

In my opinion, if you are getting free storage for the 3 years, I would keep it. I bet you'll appreciate the car even more after being away from it for 3 years.. and if you change your mind when you get back, It will probably sell for even more than it will today.
Thanks for the insight - those are some good points. I guess I don't have much to lose if the storage is free.

Does anyone have any experience with long-term storage? The vehicle must be turned in clean with fresh fluids and battery and no open recalls, and it will have the engine started, be moved, and have the A/C cycled every 30 days. If any need for maintenance or repair is identified, I will be contacted to approve the work. Seems reasonably thorough.