View Single Post
      10-18-2023, 04:34 PM   #24
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

So my M-ASKII system video output died.

I could still listen to music and navigate around "blindly" but decided to get CIC since the fan also stopped working and some power circuit is dead (already tried to reflow the video card BGAs in electronics factory on the proper machine). But in order to figure out the bad component i would need to buy another M-ASKIi which are surprisingly expensive in eastern europe.
CCC is meh and since i found CIC whole set with everything for about 400$ decided to try the retrofit.
Fitting was quite easy, just need to remake the screen connector + buy the controller plastic.

Coding was sort of easy also.

This is what was done to the FA:
Removed #0307 - original build date.
Added #0909 this build date to allow modules to see CIC
Added $609 - cic equipped
removed $606 - means mask unit is now not installed
added $672 - means cd changer (i have dension connected to MOST network)
added $676 = cic hifi option (get low level output)

Then default code CIC and it automatically applies proper values according to car extras written in FA.
Then manually changed: PHONE_TYPE_C0B = mulf_sa644 (experimenting to get Dension phone connection to communicate with CIC as it did with M-ASKII setup).

For the Alpine 802 DSP changed input jumpers to accept low level (otherwise it's very quiet listening experience).

However what are my observations coming from M-ASKII to CIC (sound wise).
With M-ASKII it was possible to have speaker level output and sort of flat EQ.
This is not possible with CIC (options are either stereo or hifi).

CIC stereo option is rubbish - totally ruined the sound. Bass is extremely limited, vocals are ruined, highs are broken and midbass is gone.
CIC hifi output is alot better compared to M-ASK hifi output.
M-ASKII hifi output also emitted floor (static) noise that never disappeared and was always present no matter the gain settings. I read from everywhere that it is a gain issue or grounding issue but the M-ASKII is really old, possibly lacking filtering circuit and is never meant to provide high quality low level (RCA) signal.
There is no static noise from CIC Hifi output.

Dension 500S BT works with CIC - no problems. Have 128GB USB 3.0 attached to it with lots of songs.
It also allows to send music via bluetooth and forwards phone calls to CIC with phonebook support (it's basically a combox).
It works best when all your songs are in .WAV format.
I had strange crashes with some random .mp3 files.

Only navigation is not available - need to figure out how this scripting thing works.
When the day comes will add a backup camera to CIC. The emulator is about 50$ from ali.
Appreciate 1
TiAgAu150.00