United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
I'll throw my hat into this ring, regarding the definition of enthusiast... My feeling is that BMW actively discourages the DIY/Modding crowd. At first, I thought it was just a byproduct of the technological advancements combined with their goal of lowering total cost of ownership.

But as time goes on, BMW locks down more and more of the knowledge required perform even basic maintenance on the vehicle.
So does everyone else - as engines get more fuel-efficient and produce lower emissions, the ability to tinker with them diminishes without special tools, computer software, and knowledge. Think back about how big an engine it used to take to produce 300 net horsepower - and now we do it with 188 cubic-inch inline 6-cylinders that can get 30+ mpg. You can't do much to Porsches these days, but does that mean they're not "enthusiast cars"? Seriously, if that's what someone is looking for, they need to restore an old Camaro or Mustang and install a late-model crate motor, new suspension, big brakes and more or less spend the same amount as they would buying an M-sport 3-series, or a used 1M.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0