View Single Post
      02-17-2014, 12:10 PM   #39
forteatwo
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 S-Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Pringle View Post
Any reports of sDrive's in snow or ice? Just curious as many unusual parts of the U.S. have gotten much colder weather this year. Did you install special winter tires?
I have an s-Drive with Blizzak snow tires and am in a snowy climate and do fine. In fact I just got back from skiing in Colorado and went through the passes in Summit county during a storm and made it fine while others were chaining up. I won't say it was a piece of cake. The Blizzak snows are excellent tires.

The only problem with the X1 in snow is this car has so much power that you really have accelerate carefully. The DSC is effective but kick it off if you need to spin a little to keep going forward. I do not use the Eco Pro much but it helps to temper the throttle in slippery conditions so I kick it in from time to time under those conditions.

Most people will disagree with me on this but I would rather have 4 snows and 2 WD than AWD and regular tires under adverse conditions. The braking control and cornering slippage are the main safety issues under conditions of snow and ice. Snow tires are better under these circumstances.

Lastly, the s-drive X1 is not as grippy as my other Front drive car with snows, for obvious reasons. But I love rear wheel drive and can live with the shortcomings in winter.
Appreciate 0