View Single Post
      07-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #31
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piers View Post
Function over fashion is irrelevant Pete, the 18's are too small for the F10 and 19's have no ride downside, so function and form in one hit - happy days
I'm not coming back on this subject to try and influence anyone else, as ride quality is not always easy to quantify. Ride quality is a subjective thing, as we don't all feel the ride frequency the same way.

I can feel the difference, between an 18" and 19" shod 5-series. 19" crash more easily over bad surfaces. I prefer the ride of the 18" in my circumstances, less jittery intrusions to the cabin, even on average road surfaces. I have to say it, but 17" winter wheels are even more comfortable, than the 18". What we'd really expect.

I know if I was running 19" wheels for the looks, I'd be changing tyres to non run-flats (probably Michelin PSS), to keep the finer side of ride quality, (plus consideration for tyre damage). I just don't personally want the hassle of trying to run without run-flats, had enough of that with my E91, trying to get a better ride quality.

Enjoy your 19" wheels, I'll stick with stock OEM rim sizing, which give "me" the 'sweet spot' for ride quality down my local roads.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0