Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-31-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
koxal
Her Zaman Her Yerde
 
koxal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SG F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Arrow Burning fat without losing muscle...

I know you cant burn fat while building muscle but my question is how to prevent your muscle mass while buring fat...

I work out 4 times a week and so far i put on 20lbs along some fat


Right now I am 177lbs and 6 ft with %15 BF right now. I guess, not too bad at all.

I need to gain another 3lbs and then start to burn fat to a level around %11
In that case I will need to lose around 7lbs of fat and some muscle abvously.

I read a lot of articles regarding to this manner. Hovewer many of them is explaning more about lowering BF from %20 to %10

Just wanted to check with your own experiences, what u guys are doing for fat loss after building muscle and how u do it?

Thanks
__________________
Sold My Black Beast

Here is the new ride
koxal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 04:38 PM   #2
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
 
Quick6EF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

To minimize muscle loss, pay close attention to your caloric deficit. Be patient and track your weight/mirror closely. You can try a 350-500 calorie deficit.

Good job on a successful bulk.
__________________
Quick6EF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
ejazbmw
blahhh
 
ejazbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 335i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: NJ/NY

Posts: 6,340
iTrader: (7)

i don't think its possible to lose fat and not muscle at the same time or am i wrong? every time i try to cut i always end up losing some muscle.
ejazbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
dfv2
STiGuy
 
dfv2's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 135i
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Upstate NY

Posts: 458
iTrader: (3)

Leangains.com, try an IF protocol like his or similar with some mild stims, yohimbine hcl, sesamin, alphaburn, etc. Also, the boys at ironaddicts.com have this down to a science and have been doing this for years. Getting very lean takes either drugs, great genetics and/or the absence of carbohydrates/insulin for the majority of the day.
__________________
//ecg//
dfv2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 08:35 PM   #5
koxal
Her Zaman Her Yerde
 
koxal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SG F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
To minimize muscle loss, pay close attention to your caloric deficit. Be patient and track your weight/mirror closely. You can try a 350-500 calorie deficit.

Good job on a successful bulk.
thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejazbmw View Post
i don't think its possible to lose fat and not muscle at the same time or am i wrong? every time i try to cut i always end up losing some muscle.
thats what i said at the beginning of my post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfv2 View Post
Leangains.com, try an IF protocol like his or similar with some mild stims, yohimbine hcl, sesamin, alphaburn, etc. Also, the boys at ironaddicts.com have this down to a science and have been doing this for years. Getting very lean takes either drugs, great genetics and/or the absence of carbohydrates/insulin for the majority of the day.
will check, thanks for the websites.

i dont think i have that kind of genetics but will try to get as low as i can without drugs..
__________________
Sold My Black Beast

Here is the new ride
koxal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
mmm def
Colonel
 
mmm def's Avatar
 
Drives: 06 330i, 11 S4
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: NJ

Posts: 2,565
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to mmm def
You need to gain another 3 lbs? I take 5 lb deuces man.
mmm def is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-31-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
Aggression
Private First Class
 
Aggression's Avatar
 
Drives: 07' 335i E92/13' VW GTI
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Jacksonville

Posts: 123
iTrader: (0)

Morning Cardio on an Empty Stomach on Thermo (I use OxyElitePro)=Fat loss while retaining most muscle mass if you stick to your training routine. Drink some BCAAs/EAA's throughout the day, then call me in the morning.
Aggression is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 03:53 AM   #8
Oregano123
Banned.....j/k
 
Oregano123's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 535xi, '11 Panamera
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: South Dakota

Posts: 174
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to Oregano123
yea, BCAAs
__________________
Oregano123 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
golfinz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)

Diet: high protein (not all in one meal as your body can only digest 30-60 grms of protein a meal depending on yoru size), low carb, no sugar, nuts, some fruit and veggies. I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want, which is usually Sunday, then I watch what I eat the rest of the week. If you don't like veggies, then egg whites, grilled chicken and sweet potatoes go a long way.

Stairmaster to help preserve the joints (I had knee surgery so I can't run or jump yet) then weight training.
golfinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 10:24 AM   #10
Fundahl
Captain
 
Drives: VO 1M, 300zx TT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Corpus Christi, Texas

Posts: 704
iTrader: (0)

What is the most effective cardio as far as heat and time-effective? I personally think biking for cardio is dumb... but jump-rope and sprinting seem to work up a sweat pretty quick, as well as kick-boxing practice on a 200lb bag.

If I'm taking the proper amount of protein, but only doing cardio for a while, will I still lose muscle from burning calories?
Fundahl is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 11:18 AM   #11
koxal
Her Zaman Her Yerde
 
koxal's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SG F10 M5
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: North Jersey

Posts: 1,135
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
If I'm taking the proper amount of protein, but only doing cardio for a while, will I still lose muscle from burning calories?
unfortunately yes, because your muscles will become weaker if u dont do weight lifting. once they r weaker, it means they will lose muscle..
__________________
Sold My Black Beast

Here is the new ride
koxal is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
golfinz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fundahl View Post
What is the most effective cardio as far as heat and time-effective? I personally think biking for cardio is dumb... but jump-rope and sprinting seem to work up a sweat pretty quick, as well as kick-boxing practice on a 200lb bag.

If I'm taking the proper amount of protein, but only doing cardio for a while, will I still lose muscle from burning calories?
The only cardio machine that kicks my ass (I can't run or jump or else I would do sprints mixed with box jumps and updowns) is the stairmaster. Do 3, 20 min intervals, ramping up the speed on each interval, the last one being at level 12 (or whatever level is just under running up the stairs). If you aren't fit enough to do the last one for all 20 min, slow it down. To keep in interesting, I try to beat my personal best on floors climed. So far my best is 154 floors in 20 min

Do the above in the morning, then weight training 4 days a week after work, eat better, and report back. You will be in summer shape in no time
golfinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 06:25 PM   #13
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
 
Quick6EF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Diet: high protein (not all in one meal as your body can only digest 30-60 grms of protein a meal depending on yoru size), low carb, no sugar, nuts, some fruit and veggies. I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want, which is usually Sunday, then I watch what I eat the rest of the week. If you don't like veggies, then egg whites, grilled chicken and sweet potatoes go a long way.

Stairmaster to help preserve the joints (I had knee surgery so I can't run or jump yet) then weight training.
lol don't listen to this post.


I forgot, OP what does your typical week of training look like?
__________________
Quick6EF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 07:22 PM   #14
ken1137
Brigadier General
 
ken1137's Avatar
 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 3,685
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
lol don't listen to this post.
I forgot, OP what does your typical week of training look like?
What do you know...once again telling someone their full of shit. Don't listen to this 'tard...

One of his quotes; "PS You said that you gained muscle during your weight loss from 225-208, unfortunatly that is not possible. You gain mass from a caloric surplus, and lose weight in a deficit. You just leaned out and appeared more defined"

I was a D1 athlete, black-belt, and worked out with the best trainers. You have probably never worked out "hard" in your life, nor excelled at any sport. Good day Mr Troll and keep telling everyone else on the forum that are full of shit.
__________________

BMWCCA member
ken1137 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #15
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
 
Quick6EF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
What do you know...once again telling someone their full of shit. Don't listen to this 'tard...

One of his quotes; "PS You said that you gained muscle during your weight loss from 225-208, unfortunatly that is not possible. You gain mass from a caloric surplus, and lose weight in a deficit. You just leaned out and appeared more defined"

I was a D1 athlete, black-belt, and worked out with the best trainers. You have probably never worked out "hard" in your life, nor excelled at any sport. Good day Mr Troll and keep telling everyone else on the forum that are full of shit.
Sweet post bro, but you call me the troll? What do you want me to prove?
__________________
Quick6EF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 09:35 PM   #16
golfinz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
lol don't listen to this post.


I forgot, OP what does your typical week of training look like?
Lol. Alright Internet gym master...we should all probably listen to you just so you don't say retarded/non contributing posts.

I'm interested, what part of my post do you not agree with? Everything I posted is a proven, and idiot proof, way to lose weight. I will explain: The diet portion is, in effect, a paleo based diet (I'll give you time to read up on Paleo). and everyone needs a cheat day, saying you have to eat chicken/veggies all day, every day, is not sustainable. What people need to focus on is a sustainable figure/lifestyle, in my humble opinion. The stairmaster part, well you obviously haven't been on a stairmaster before at any level of intensity. Plus it's a good way to preserve your joints; I had knee surgery 4 months ago so I personally cannot run or jump but if one is able, I would recommend other forms of cardio. The cool thing about the stairmaster is that anyone can do it

Last edited by golfinz; 02-01-2012 at 09:49 PM.
golfinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2012, 11:24 PM   #17
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
 
Quick6EF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
Diet: high protein (not all in one meal as your body can only digest 30-60 grms of protein a meal depending on yoru size), low carb, no sugar, nuts, some fruit and veggies. I allow myself one day to eat whatever I want, which is usually Sunday, then I watch what I eat the rest of the week. If you don't like veggies, then egg whites, grilled chicken and sweet potatoes go a long way.

Stairmaster to help preserve the joints (I had knee surgery so I can't run or jump yet) then weight training.
Sorry, I'll be more specific. Your point about the body being able to absorb 30-60g protein has been proven debunked and a myth.


If you think that limiting certain foods is really what makes losing weight successful, you're wrong; it's a caloric deficit.

I'm not going to touch your post about only eating chicken and veggies, because that is not what I do or even mentioned.

The key to success is to count calories. Have a proper fat and protein intake and feel free to fill the rest with CHO. Adjust according to your goals. If you include a weight training schedule too, excellent.

That fucking simple. I eat what I want, when I want - I count calories by tracking macros.

Please see http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
__________________

Last edited by Quick6EF; 02-01-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Quick6EF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #18
golfinz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Sorry, I'll be more specific. Your point about the body being able to absorb 30-60g protein has been proven debunked and a myth.


If you think that limiting certain foods is really what makes losing weight successful, you're wrong; it's a caloric deficit.

I'm not going to touch your post about only eating chicken and veggies, because that is not what I do or even mentioned.

The key to success is to count calories. Have a proper fat and protein intake and feel free to fill the rest with CHO. Adjust according to your goals. If you include a weight training schedule too, excellent.

That fucking simple. I eat what I want, when I want - I count calories by tracking macros.

Please see http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top...-debunked.html
My point about the body being able to absorb more than 60grms (that was a guess btw) or more of protein in one sitting is not a myth. I'm not a biologist, but I am willing to put a lot of money on the line and say that there is a point where the body "has enough" of protein, or any nutrient for that matter, before it will stop absorbing it.

Finally, and most importantly, if you think it's "all about" limiting calories, then you're misguided. I agree that decreasing the amount of calories one takes in is important/necessary in losing weight, but it's also the TYPE of calories one takes in. For example, with all else equal, if we both had only 1500 calories a day, and you did it with pizza/burgers/cokes and I did it with chicken/veggies/fruits I GUARANTEE I would be in better shape and be able to lift more. Why? Because our body is a machine and what you put in is what you get out. The body burns healthy food more efficiently then processed/fattening foods. Plus, if we stick with that 1500 K diet, you would be able to eat maybe 3 pieces of pizza while on the other hand I could have many chicken breats, tons of veggies, egg whites, and a protein shake. That will fuel me all day where as the food you eat won't get you through half a day. I am also recommending that people do weight loss in a sustainable fashion, not by "flash dieting." Making correct choices is far superior then counting calories.

I understand your point about calorie deficts, but it isn't as "F'ing" easy as you put it or we would all be as chisled as Greg Plitt. It takes time, and dedication.

And btw, I don't need a link on the internet showing the the "top 10 myths" of anything. I don't believe everthing I read on the internet like some people do
golfinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #19
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
 
Quick6EF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
My point about the body being able to absorb more than 60grms (that was a guess btw) or more of protein in one sitting is not a myth. I'm not a biologist, but I am willing to put a lot of money on the line and say that there is a point where the body "has enough" of protein, or any nutrient for that matter, before it will stop absorbing it.

Finally, and most importantly, if you think it's "all about" limiting calories, then you're misguided. I agree that decreasing the amount of calories one takes in is important/necessary in losing weight, but it's also the TYPE of calories one takes in. For example, with all else equal, if we both had only 1500 calories a day, and you did it with pizza/burgers/cokes and I did it with chicken/veggies/fruits I GUARANTEE I would be in better shape and be able to lift more. Why? Because our body is a machine and what you put in is what you get out. The body burns healthy food more efficiently then processed/fattening foods. Plus, if we stick with that 1500 K diet, you would be able to eat maybe 3 pieces of pizza while on the other hand I could have many chicken breats, tons of veggies, egg whites, and a protein shake. That will fuel me all day where as the food you eat won't get you through half a day. I am also recommending that people do weight loss in a sustainable fashion, not by "flash dieting." Making correct choices is far superior then counting calories.

I understand your point about calorie deficts, but it isn't as "F'ing" easy as you put it or we would all be as chisled as Greg Plitt. It takes time, and dedication.

And btw, I don't need a link on the internet showing the the "top 10 myths" of anything. I don't believe everthing I read on the internet like some people do
Any full grown man eating 1500 calories is doing it wrong. I'll agree to disagree here. GL to you whatever your goals are.


PS Counting calories will always win out. You're playing a guessing game with just eating "clean foods." That's why 9/10 people never get the results they want.
__________________
Quick6EF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 08:18 PM   #20
golfinz
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2007 335
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 554
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
Any full grown man eating 1500 calories is doing it wrong. I'll agree to disagree here. GL to you whatever your goals are.


PS Counting calories will always win out. You're playing a guessing game with just eating "clean foods." That's why 9/10 people never get the results they want.
That number was just used for an example. Just like your "9/10 people never get the results they want" number.

Good luck counting calories the rest of your life It isn't a guessing game when eating healthy because your body will tell you when it's full and when it needs more fuel. With processed/unnatural foods, they trick your body into thinking different things (aka: aspertain, it is a chemical that TRICKS your brain into thinking something is sweet, when it isn't a sweetener at all...it actually turns into fermaldihide at 86*...guess what our natural body temp is)
golfinz is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2012, 08:21 PM   #21
ken1137
Brigadier General
 
ken1137's Avatar
 
Drives: a slow 2009 e90 335i
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Chicago

Posts: 3,685
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2009 e90 335i  [3.20]
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfinz View Post
My point about the body being able to absorb more than 60grms (that was a guess btw) or more of protein in one sitting is not a myth. I'm not a biologist, but I am willing to put a lot of money on the line and say that there is a point where the body "has enough" of protein, or any nutrient for that matter, before it will stop absorbing it.

Finally, and most importantly, if you think it's "all about" limiting calories, then you're misguided. I agree that decreasing the amount of calories one takes in is important/necessary in losing weight, but it's also the TYPE of calories one takes in. For example, with all else equal, if we both had only 1500 calories a day, and you did it with pizza/burgers/cokes and I did it with chicken/veggies/fruits I GUARANTEE I would be in better shape and be able to lift more. Why? Because our body is a machine and what you put in is what you get out. The body burns healthy food more efficiently then processed/fattening foods. Plus, if we stick with that 1500 K diet, you would be able to eat maybe 3 pieces of pizza while on the other hand I could have many chicken breats, tons of veggies, egg whites, and a protein shake. That will fuel me all day where as the food you eat won't get you through half a day. I am also recommending that people do weight loss in a sustainable fashion, not by "flash dieting." Making correct choices is far superior then counting calories.

I understand your point about calorie deficts, but it isn't as "F'ing" easy as you put it or we would all be as chisled as Greg Plitt. It takes time, and dedication.

And btw, I don't need a link on the internet showing the the "top 10 myths" of anything. I don't believe everthing I read on the internet like some people do

Yeah, but he reads a lot and btw...he will tell you soon that He is right because you are wrong
__________________

BMWCCA member

Last edited by ken1137; 02-02-2012 at 08:23 PM. Reason: adding
ken1137 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-03-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
 
Quick6EF's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 Space Gray
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Boston

Posts: 488
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken1137 View Post
Yeah, but he reads a lot and btw...he will tell you soon that He is right because you are wrong


I don't make it up, educate yourself.

http://examine.com/faq/how-much-prot...e-sitting.html

check the sources
__________________
Quick6EF is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:24 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST