Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #2795
rodi
. . .
 
Drives: your FACE!
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Atlanta proper

Posts: 2,400
iTrader: (-1)

oh, and glare of course. should know how to combat that though.
__________________
2009 135i | space grey | sport | navi | hifi | heated
dinan stage 2 software | bmw performance exhaust
kw v2 | hotchkis front sway | vmr v710

rodi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #2796
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Argh. Must*Stop*Looking*At*Prices.
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #2797
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 6,726
iTrader: (15)

Send a message via AIM to Chewy734
didn't you just buy one?
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #2798
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
didn't you just buy one?
Yes. For almost $200 more.
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #2799
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 6,726
iTrader: (15)

Send a message via AIM to Chewy734
doh! From where?
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #2800
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

I've learned, once I own something, never look up the price ever again

I'm wondering if the prices are dropping because people are expecting the 5DIII so they sales figures are lower on a lot of other cameras now.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #2801
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
doh! From where?
I got mine from Amazon, and at that time it was the lowest price I'd seen in a while. But I figured this would happen. I have the reverse-Midas touch. If I buy something, it immediately depreciates in value. This is why Wifey makes the investment decisions. My attempts at investing have always been disastrous.
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2012, 07:31 AM   #2802
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I've learned, once I own something, never look up the price ever again

I'm wondering if the prices are dropping because people are expecting the 5DIII so they sales figures are lower on a lot of other cameras now.
I know, I shouldn't be looking or caring. You gotta buy sometime. Just do it and don't look back.
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2012, 07:41 AM   #2803
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 6,726
iTrader: (15)

Send a message via AIM to Chewy734
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I have the reverse-Midas touch. If I buy something, it immediately depreciates in value.
Would it be too much to ask you to pre-order a 5D3 right now?
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-13-2012, 08:54 PM   #2804
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
Would it be too much to ask you to pre-order a 5D3 right now?
lol
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #2805
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Got a question about CPS. For the Gold level, it says you have to be a self-employed photographer or work for a photography firm. How do they determine "self-employed?" Is it like Dell Small business where you just make up a name? Or do they expect to see some proof like a tax return or a tax ID?

Also, I have well over the 20-points worth of equipment, but how do you prove that? Do I need to register all my stuff like I did with the 7D?
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 11:13 AM   #2806
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 6,726
iTrader: (15)

Send a message via AIM to Chewy734
your SSN can be your tax ID if you are a sole business owner.

Honestly, I have no idea what they look for. My guess is they just want your annual fee, so they'll ask you nothing of great importance.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 01:46 PM   #2807
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Well I just signed up for a Gold membership with no problems. Yet. I figured the warranty status on my 7D is in doubt, so having 30% off repairs if needed will come in handy. Plus two free C&C coupons. Like my BMWCCA membership, it should pay for itself.
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 01:57 PM   #2808
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,658
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Well I just signed up for a Gold membership with no problems. Yet. I figured the warranty status on my 7D is in doubt, so having 30% off repairs if needed will come in handy. Plus two free C&C coupons. Like my BMWCCA membership, it should pay for itself.
It's a very good deal. When it's time to upgrade my 7D and 5D2 I'll send them in for C&C. Also, after the dust settles in a few months, I'd like to try the new 600mm and maybe even the 1D X.

Why is your warranty status in doubt? They require the SN to register with CPS, so I'd think that if it were grey market or something that they might give you crap at that point.

Both my bodies are out of warranty, but I have high hopes not to need any service; however, if I do, the discount and the quick turnaround is a nice plus. Oh, the CPS strap is very nice and all the books and info that they send you is very interesting.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 01:58 PM   #2809
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,658
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy734 View Post
your SSN can be your tax ID if you are a sole business owner.

Honestly, I have no idea what they look for. My guess is they just want your annual fee, so they'll ask you nothing of great importance.
All they care about is "points", which equals how much you've spent with them.
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 02:55 PM   #2810
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
It's a very good deal. When it's time to upgrade my 7D and 5D2 I'll send them in for C&C. Also, after the dust settles in a few months, I'd like to try the new 600mm and maybe even the 1D X.

Why is your warranty status in doubt? They require the SN to register with CPS, so I'd think that if it were grey market or something that they might give you crap at that point.

Both my bodies are out of warranty, but I have high hopes not to need any service; however, if I do, the discount and the quick turnaround is a nice plus. Oh, the CPS strap is very nice and all the books and info that they send you is very interesting.

Dave
My 7D was new when I got it, but it was originally part of a kit and came without the lens. I bought it through an Amazon 3rd party (Loongway Photo (no, that's not a typo)) who is not a Canon "authorized dealer" and is, therefore, the original purchaser. Canon warranties cover only the original purchaser (according to their warranty). I registered it with no squabbles, but I bet they won't cover a thing if it needs work. I'm just hoping it won't.
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 03:01 PM   #2811
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,658
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
My 7D was new when I got it, but it was originally part of a kit and came without the lens. I bought it through an Amazon 3rd party (Loongway Photo (no, that's not a typo)) who is not a Canon "authorized dealer" and is, therefore, the original purchaser. Canon warranties cover only the original purchaser (according to their warranty). I registered it with no squabbles, but I bet they won't cover a thing if it needs work. I'm just hoping it won't.
Wow, that took a lot of nerve to order from Loong. I'm glad that it seems to be working out for you.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 03:28 PM   #2812
Chewy734
Major General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

Posts: 6,726
iTrader: (15)

Send a message via AIM to Chewy734
Mark's got cajones... I wouldn't be able to purchase from some random store like that.
__________________

Currently for sale: N/A
Chewy734 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #2813
M_Six
Free Thinker
 
M_Six's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 MB C300 4matic
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Foothills of Mt Level

Posts: 4,678
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Wow, that took a lot of nerve to order from Loong. I'm glad that it seems to be working out for you.

Dave
He had excellent ratings. My only complaint was that the packing could have been better. And going through Amazon mitigates most of the risk anyway.

I look at it like this, when you pay a couple hundred more to buy from an authorized dealer, then you've essentially paid $200 for the warranty, which is only a year. So you base your risk assessment on the quality of the product and decide if your risk of a failure is high enough to warrant the expenditure or low enough to forgo it. I've heard over and over that extended warranties on TVs and such through Best Buy are a waste, and they're usually far less per year of coverage than the cost of a Canon single year warranty. I posted a link a few days ago to a new 7D from 47th St Photo. The 7D was like $1269 or there about. Folks over at POTN are telling the OP to buy from B&H or Adorama instead, despite the fact that 47th St Photo has excellent ratings. But because they're not an authorized dealer, the warranty would be in question. The killer is, B&H and Adorama want $1599 for the 7D. So is the warranty really worth $330 in this case?

My experience with Canon products tells me that problems are rare if you take care of your equipment. I never had an issue with my Canon SLRs and my T1i has been flawless, as have my lenses. I'd say the risk is low. (Of course having said this I've probably jinxed myself.)
__________________
Mark - Randomography

"The $0.99 menu was put on this Earth for a good damn reason." -Weebl
M_Six is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 08:52 PM   #2814
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
He had excellent ratings. My only complaint was that the packing could have been better. And going through Amazon mitigates most of the risk anyway.

I look at it like this, when you pay a couple hundred more to buy from an authorized dealer, then you've essentially paid $200 for the warranty, which is only a year. So you base your risk assessment on the quality of the product and decide if your risk of a failure is high enough to warrant the expenditure or low enough to forgo it. I've heard over and over that extended warranties on TVs and such through Best Buy are a waste, and they're usually far less per year of coverage than the cost of a Canon single year warranty. I posted a link a few days ago to a new 7D from 47th St Photo. The 7D was like $1269 or there about. Folks over at POTN are telling the OP to buy from B&H or Adorama instead, despite the fact that 47th St Photo has excellent ratings. But because they're not an authorized dealer, the warranty would be in question. The killer is, B&H and Adorama want $1599 for the 7D. So is the warranty really worth $330 in this case?

My experience with Canon products tells me that problems are rare if you take care of your equipment. I never had an issue with my Canon SLRs and my T1i has been flawless, as have my lenses. I'd say the risk is low. (Of course having said this I've probably jinxed myself.)
extended warranties are just how the companies make proffit. It doesn't really do anything for the consumer. (minimal)

I read the stats somewhere on how much they make off the extra warranty, the company pretty much runs on the profits of it alone since the markup on a lot of the items is minimal. (which is how they make companies like target struggle to survive)
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-14-2012, 08:53 PM   #2815
The1
Major General
 
Drives: white 135
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: KW ontario/vancouver temporarily

Posts: 5,127
iTrader: (0)

also, as far as I know, I haven't seen DC complian about the quality on his 7D, and I haven't had any problems at all. So, in reality, I'm not too worried about the warranty.
The1 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      03-15-2012, 09:32 AM   #2816
dcstep
Brigadier General
 
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Colorado

Posts: 4,658
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 M3  [4.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
also, as far as I know, I haven't seen DC complian about the quality on his 7D, and I haven't had any problems at all. So, in reality, I'm not too worried about the warranty.
I think that you made a relatively safe bet. My experience with things electronic is taht they usually break early on or last forever. You'll be past the "early on" phase soon.

Dave
__________________
dcstep is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST