Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-18-2013, 08:34 AM   #1
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Automotive Taxonomy

Clearly you can tell the taxonomy of cars these days is far from straight forward. Coupes have four doors. Sedans have three or two. What is it with car makers that they can't just call a spade a spade?

Consider our beloved BMW which stated that 2-door cars would get even numbers and 4-door cars would get odd numbers. Yet we have:

  • M135 with two doors
  • 6GC with four doors
  • 3 GT with 5 doors
  • 4GC (coming) with four doors

There must be some good reason for all these labels that make no sense and simply ignoring Shakespeare. I realize they are cars and not rose, but the buying public, I think, doesn't really care (within reason) what a car is called. (To an extent...It'll be interesting to see how well the 4 series sells in China. Superstitious as the Chinese are, I cannot imagine they will be keen to ride around in car that is death by name.) I think most people look at the car, decide whether they like the looks, and go from there.

Trying to make some sense out of the car's naming might have made some sense when the numbers referred to something literal like displacement, or liters of oil, or cylinders, or something. Defining a rule about the quantity of doors and then immediately breaking that rule is just ridiculous. Perhaps I've worked with IT types too long and just don't like rules that cannot be relied upon.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
turbolag
11
is nonexistent with N/A
 
turbolag's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Clearly you can tell the taxonomy of cars these days is far from straight forward. Coupes have four doors. Sedans have three or two. What is it with car makers that they can't just call a spade a spade?

Consider our beloved BMW which stated that 2-door cars would get even numbers and 4-door cars would get odd numbers. Yet we have:

  • M135 with two doors
  • 6GC with four doors
  • 3 GT with 5 doors
  • 4GC (coming) with four doors

There must be some good reason for all these labels that make no sense and simply ignoring Shakespeare. I realize they are cars and not rose, but the buying public, I think, doesn't really care (within reason) what a car is called. (To an extent...It'll be interesting to see how well the 4 series sells in China. Superstitious as the Chinese are, I cannot imagine they will be keen to ride around in car that is death by name.) I think most people look at the car, decide whether they like the looks, and go from there.

Trying to make some sense out of the car's naming might have made some sense when the numbers referred to something literal like displacement, or liters of oil, or cylinders, or something. Defining a rule about the quantity of doors and then immediately breaking that rule is just ridiculous. Perhaps I've worked with IT types too long and just don't like rules that cannot be relied upon.
The Audi A4 sells well in China, no?

I think it's more of Coupe as in body shape, not as in doors. For example, MB classified the CLS as a Coupe...

The 3er TOuring and 5er Touring both are odd numbers, so I wouldn't think too much of the 3GT.
turbolag is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
dinonz
4
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335i Sport Black on Black
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Austin

Posts: 422
iTrader: (0)

And "Firestone is a car company".

Yeah. Right.
dinonz is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
Naambezet
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive 20i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Netherlands

Posts: 287
iTrader: (0)

The 1 series only comes with 3 or 5 doors.
Naambezet is offline   Netherlands
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2013, 04:17 PM   #5
Ti335
4
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 335i
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto

Posts: 428
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naambezet View Post
The 1 series only comes with 3 or 5 doors.
This another thing I could never understand. Why is a hatchback's trunk cover considered a "door" while a sedan's or coupe's is not?
Ti335 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #6
jjrandorin
0
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 335i
Join Date: May 2013
Location: United States

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
This another thing I could never understand. Why is a hatchback's trunk cover considered a "door" while a sedan's or coupe's is not?
Maybe ( speculating) because it enters directly into the car and a regular trunk has something between the inside of the truck and the car (back seats)?
jjrandorin is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2013, 10:33 AM   #7
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
This another thing I could never understand. Why is a hatchback's trunk cover considered a "door" while a sedan's or coupe's is not?
True, and I could see a case for the following: the hood is the door to the engine compartment and the trunk lid is the door to, well, the trunk. That the flap that gives access to the fuel tank is sometimes called a door seems evidence to me that not all doors have to yield onto empty spaces where humans sit.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #8
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
The Audi A4 sells well in China, no?

...
I don't know, does it? I see A8s all over the place, but I don't see A4s that much at all, and eight is a highly desirable -- as far as I know, the most desirable -- number in Chinese number preference.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
crono06
2
Second Lieutenant
 
crono06's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 M Sport 335i xDrive
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Toronto ON

Posts: 211
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I don't know, does it? I see A8s all over the place, but I don't see A4s that much at all, and eight is a highly desirable -- as far as I know, the most desirable -- number in Chinese number preference.
Yes, you are correct. The phonetic sound of 8 is very similar to wealth or fortune.
crono06 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #10
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crono06 View Post
Yes, you are correct. The phonetic sound of 8 is very similar to wealth or fortune.
Well, the i8 should do well in China then.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2013, 09:35 PM   #11
hawkrak
0
New Member
 
Drives: bmw
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: gpou

Posts: 6
iTrader: (0)

The phonetic sound of 8 is very similar to wealth or fortune.
__________________
hawkrak is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-29-2013, 09:50 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
180
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

Posts: 17,966
iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
My brain hurts in here LOL
Jeff@TopGearSolutions is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #13
BlueBill
0
New Member
 
Drives: 320
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Denver

Posts: 26
iTrader: (0)

Try to get a license plate with many 8s over there - it's just unaffordable if you are not one of the "lucky" ones in China
BlueBill is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBill View Post
Try to get a license plate with many 8s over there - it's just unaffordable if you are not one of the "lucky" ones in China
Trying to get a lot of eights is fine, but I think it's more important to simply to have no fours than it is to have even one eight. Unless you want to die rich, in which case perhaps you need one of each???
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2013, 04:55 AM   #15
-Wingman-
4
Banned
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 497
iTrader: (2)

Coupes have four doors?

The only coupe I can think of with four doors is the Mazda rx-8.

Perhaps the trunk of a hatchback is considered to be a door because both the window and the boot are attached, and open together much like how a door does.
-Wingman- is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      07-30-2013, 12:34 PM   #16
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Coupes have four doors?

The only coupe I can think of with four doors is the Mazda rx-8.

Perhaps the trunk of a hatchback is considered to be a door because both the window and the boot are attached, and open together much like how a door does.
BMW thinks coupes can have four doors.




Mercedes and Audi also seem to think so.

Of course, all this 4-door coupe crap is nothing but marketing crap. Frankly, I 'd have had nothing to say about it other than the fact that these car companies have done nothing but put a new skin on an existing chassis and jack up the price. It doesn't bother me what kinds and shapes of cars any car company offer to sell as long as they do so with some integrity.

A car of any design and build is what it is and calling it something it isn't, when I can plainly see what it is, is asking for me to willingly suspend disbelief. I'll do that for a fictional movie. I'll do that for a novel. Why anyone would do that over a tangible object they can see and tough (and drive) is beyond me. My name is not Alice. This is not Wonderland.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 01:44 AM   #17
ryankossuch
0
Original Equipment Manufacturer Wheels and Rims
 
Drives: bmw rims
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Michigan

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

Thumbs up Get BMW Wheels and Rims

If you want to buy BMW wheels and rims, MVP Wheels is a best option.They providing free shipping order over $149.
ryankossuch is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Fume
1
Private First Class
 
Drives: '13 E82 N51 128i 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 179
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I don't know, does it? I see A8s all over the place, but I don't see A4s that much at all, and eight is a highly desirable -- as far as I know, the most desirable -- number in Chinese number preference.
Also, I'm fairly certain that 4 sounds similar to the word for death in Mandarin (and other East Asian languages too). Not sure how much of an affect that has though.
Fume is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 12:29 PM   #19
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fume View Post
Also, I'm fairly certain that 4 sounds similar to the word for death in Mandarin (and other East Asian languages too). Not sure how much of an affect that has though.
Yes it does.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #20
ptack
42
Brigadier General
 
ptack's Avatar
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 4,254
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 135i  [3.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
True, and I could see a case for the following: the hood is the door to the engine compartment and the trunk lid is the door to, well, the trunk. That the flap that gives access to the fuel tank is sometimes called a door seems evidence to me that not all doors have to yield onto empty spaces where humans sit.
Ask the English guys what a boot is.
__________________
135i, SGM, Coral, Sport Package, Auto, Premium Hifi, USB/ipod, Apex EC-7s, PPK Stage II
ptack is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 03:18 PM   #21
tony20009
48
Brigadier General
 
tony20009's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Washington, DC

Posts: 4,542
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Ask the English guys what a boot is.
??? boot in the UK = trunk in the US. I went to an event in London which my companion described as "a glorified boot sale" for charity. An American would have said "a glorified garage sale" for charity, though I didn't know that until I asked what he meant. But I'm not sure what it is you were getting at with your post...sorry.
__________________
Cheers,
Tony

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
tony20009 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:01 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST