Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      08-07-2008, 11:27 AM   #23
zbeamer4
Registered
 
Drives: Jet Black 08
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Massachusetts

Posts: 4
iTrader: (0)

DAM! I had a couple of good Irish jokes too! lol
zbeamer4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2008, 01:00 PM   #24
louz4
First Lieutenant
 
louz4's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 Z4 Roadster
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Florida

Posts: 307
iTrader: (0)

Thanks

Thank you. I appreciate the response.
louz4 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-15-2008, 06:17 PM   #25
ALPINE6SPD
Lieutenant General
 
ALPINE6SPD's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i Sport
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Highland Lakes NJ

Posts: 10,410
iTrader: (2)

Send a message via AIM to ALPINE6SPD
np
__________________
2010 AW e90 328i: 6 speed, Black Leather, Dark Wood trim, ZPP, ZCW, ZVP,ZSP, Nav, Xenon
BMW Performance CF Rear spolier and Gloss black grills
2008 Candy White MKV GTI 2.0T 6 Speed Manul Gone
2008 AW X3 3.0si: 6 speed Returned
2006 AW e90 330i: 6 speed Dinan Stage 1 Returned
ALPINE6SPD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-07-2009, 01:45 AM   #26
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
 
Voltigeur's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 2,517
iTrader: (0)

-

Appropriate policy.
__________________

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Voltigeur is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      05-27-2009, 08:15 AM   #27
Mu Mu
First Lieutenant
 
Mu Mu's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 330i
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Johannesburg

Posts: 355
iTrader: (0)

This is why I love e90post although I drive an e46! keep up the good work guys!
Mu Mu is offline   South Africa
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2009, 10:28 PM   #28
cagekicker
Major
 
cagekicker's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 crimson red 135i
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: miami (vice city) fl.

Posts: 1,330
iTrader: (0)

thanx!
__________________
6MT/ Sport Package/ N54/ Asa wheels/ Eibach pro kit springs/ Active autowerke Exhaust/ 35% tint
cagekicker is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2010, 11:11 AM   #29
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
 
xbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA

Posts: 1,533
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
What about general hate filled threads like the one Lambtron put up earlier? It was removed, but it was allowed to be posted. Is he getting banned for the TERRIBLE "joke" he tried to post?

If racism = BAN, then homophobic threads like the one Lambtron started need to be basis for a ban as well. Otherwise your Racism = BAN policy is discriminatory.
__________________
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2010, 11:35 AM   #30
lambtron
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: Crimson Red E90 335i
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 336
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbook View Post
What about general hate filled threads like the one Lambtron put up earlier? It was removed, but it was allowed to be posted. Is he getting banned for the TERRIBLE "joke" he tried to post?

If racism = BAN, then homophobic threads like the one Lambtron started need to be basis for a ban as well. Otherwise your Racism = BAN policy is discriminatory.
I received an infraction. My apologies to you or anyone that may have been offended by the joke. I would argue that the joke was not hate filled at all, nor does it constitute racism; it was merely a joke that has been floating around the internet in the wake of the potential repeal of the DADT policy. And, in my defense, unless I completely missed something in the forum rules, I was unaware that I was breaking any.


FWIW- A quick search shows that there is another 'homophobic' thread that is still around on the site: 'Am I Gay?' A self examination for men
__________________

Last edited by lambtron; 02-12-2010 at 11:45 AM.
lambtron is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      02-12-2010, 11:51 AM   #31
xbook
Lieutenant Colonel
 
xbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 EBII M235i & '06 R53 GP
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Northridge, CA

Posts: 1,533
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 E82  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lambtron View Post
I received an infraction. My apologies to you or anyone that may have been offended by the joke. I would argue that the joke was not hate filled at all, nor does it constitute racism; it was merely a joke that has been floating around the internet in the wake of the potential repeal of the DADT policy. And, in my defense, unless I completely missed something in the forum rules, I was unaware that I was breaking any.


FWIW- A quick search shows that there is another 'homophobic' thread that is still around on the site: 'Am I Gay?' A self examination for men
Big of you to apologize, that's pretty cool of you. Thanks for pointing out that other thread. I think it's the one that has put me off of this forum for good. FUCKING DISGUSTING!!!

Mods, why don't you try doing your FUCKING JOBS!!!!!!
__________________
xbook is offline   Zimbabwe
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2010, 01:56 PM   #32
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, Tx

Posts: 436
iTrader: (0)

Can you define racism for this forum.

HS
HoustonScott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2010, 02:46 PM   #33
carve
Major
 
carve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (0)

From dictionary.com

Quote:
Racism: A belief or doctrine that inherent differences among the various human races determine cultural or individual achievement, usually involving the idea that one's own race is superior and has the right to rule others
I have a suspicion what you might be getting at is if it includes religion. It doesn't. Even if it did, you might want to look up and see the title of this sub-forum: Politics/Religion. There is no Democrat race or Buddhist race, for example. Race is something you're born with and can't change.

Last edited by carve; 04-24-2010 at 02:53 PM.
carve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2010, 06:33 PM   #34
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, Tx

Posts: 436
iTrader: (0)

And your going to determine that a person making a post has these beliefs or doctrine in his or her's life from that post and if you believe that they do your going to ban them. That's a lot of responsibility and insight, I wish I knew how you do it.

HS
HoustonScott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-24-2010, 11:15 PM   #35
shitbrownMcoupe
Lieutenant
 
shitbrownMcoupe's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 z4 M coupe
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto

Posts: 538
iTrader: (0)

When I went to Columbia, this hot chick asked me if I was Chinese.... then she told me that she loved Jacky Chan!... then you know what happened next...
shitbrownMcoupe is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-25-2010, 12:24 AM   #36
carve
Major
 
carve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (0)

I don't know what you're trying to say, Houston. U right at a forth grad levl. It doesn't make sense.

Race is a genetic thing though- not a doctrine or belief. Prejudging people of a certain race based on their race is racism. Regardless, I'm not a mod, so I can't ban anyone. I was just posting the definition of racism.
carve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 12:08 PM   #37
HoustonScott
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2010 335d, montego Blue
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Houston, Tx

Posts: 436
iTrader: (0)

Here is what I am trying to say. Why is this post up? Why the threat of racism=Ban? Why post this above this page? Here is what I think. If your against Obama policy your a racist or that is what will be claimed by someone here when they loose a debate littered with facts. Racism is now a racial slur of whites. It's used to degrade and belittle whites. The pre-post should read "assert racism = Ban" the word racist or racism is the new tool of the left and should not be used in this forum and use of word is an assertion that can not be refuted. I am racially offended by those who use it. it's the "N" for whites. Use that word or assert racisum and you should be BAN.

HS
HoustonScott is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #38
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonScott View Post
Here is what I am trying to say. Why is this post up? Why the threat of racism=Ban? Why post this above this page? Here is what I think. If your against Obama policy your a racist or that is what will be claimed by someone here when they loose a debate littered with facts. Racism is now a racial slur of whites. It's used to degrade and belittle whites. The pre-post should read "assert racism = Ban" the word racist or racism is the new tool of the left and should not be used in this forum and use of word is an assertion that can not be refuted. I am racially offended by those who use it. it's the "N" for whites. Use that word or assert racisum and you should be BAN.

HS
Not everyone thinks just because you don't like Obama's policy means you're racist. I certainly don't.

Don't let extremists on both sides generalize Republicans or Democrats. Yes, there are people who will say you're racist because you don't like Obama. But likewise, there are people out there that are racist and don't like Obama because he is black. You also have to realize this stuff sells and why the media picks up on it. Anything that happens has any sort of accusation of racism, CNN, Fox, MSNBC, etc will pick up on it and blow it out of proportion.

Racism is pretty clear. Post racial slurs or anything that is derogatory to a certain race is bounds to be banned. Simply saying you disagree with Obama's policy is not bounds for a ban no matter how many times a member says you're being racist for disagreeing with Obama. If a mod does ban you for that, then you do have a right to complain to the administrator, etc. But, I doubt the mods will ban you unless your posts clearly show racism in it.

Again, don't let extremists stereotype Republicans and Democrats. We may disagree with each other( as I am a registered Democrat and voted for Obama), but I certainly won't call you a racist because you don't like Obama's version of HealthCare reform or whatever policy you disagree with.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 12:23 PM   #39
Peanuto
Private First Class
 
Peanuto's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonScott View Post
Here is what I am trying to say. Why is this post up? Why the threat of racism=Ban? Why post this above this page? Here is what I think. If your against Obama policy your a racist or that is what will be claimed by someone here when they loose a debate littered with facts. Racism is now a racial slur of whites. It's used to degrade and belittle whites. The pre-post should read "assert racism = Ban" the word racist or racism is the new tool of the left and should not be used in this forum and use of word is an assertion that can not be refuted. I am racially offended by those who use it. it's the "N" for whites. Use that word or assert racisum and you should be BAN.

HS
Shouldn't even be racism. It should be edited to bigotry=ban. That way race, nationality, and religion are covered.
Peanuto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 12:26 PM   #40
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanuto View Post
Shouldn't even be racism. It should be edited to bigotry=ban. That way race, nationality, and religion are covered.
Agreed. Anything derogatory towards Race, Nationality, Religion, Sexual Orientation, etc should not be tolerated.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 02:38 PM   #41
carve
Major
 
carve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (0)

This is the politics/religion forum. Why would we want to avoid talking about religion in the religion forum? This areas is specifically set aside for these most contentous of issues, that many people want to avoid. Enter here at your own risk. Besides- pretty much every religion thinks every other religion is wrong, so all religion is inherently bigoted. That doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it- especially in here!

Likewise, since this forum is also for politics, you should be able to make generalizationg about what Democrats and Republicans stand for, for instance. There's no point having a religion or political party if there isn't a central core of beliefs. The same can not be said about ones race, nationality, or sexual orientation. Those are things you're born with (although race is the only one that is completely obvious AND unchangeable). Besides- just because something is deragatory doesn't make it wrong. Saying Vietnamese eat dogs is TRUE (although they increasingly keep them for pets, too). Saying Muslims are more likely to support terrorism than other religions is TRUE (The numbers are getting much better at a fast rate, but are still very high). Saying early Mormons practiced polygymy is TRUE. Saying atheists are godless heathens is TRUE.

Topics such as religion need to be drawn out of the closet and examined and criticized in the full light of day- especially since religion is often an important factor in people's political decisions.

HoustonScott: I think your concern is unfounded. If you say "I disagree with Obama because his policies are socialist", that isn't racist (regardless of whether it's right). If you say "I disagree with Obama because he's black", that's racist. If someone is calling you out over racism when the issue of race was never raised or implied, they clearly have no argument left and are grasping at straws. I wouldn't worry about getting banned over that, unless you're using thinly vailed racism like...I don't know...calling black people "watermelon eaters" or something, where it's obvious what you're getting at.

Last edited by carve; 04-26-2010 at 02:49 PM.
carve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 02:58 PM   #42
quagmire
I am Gundam
 
quagmire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 1,134
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
This is the politics/religion forum. Why would we want to avoid talking about religion in the religion forum? This areas is specifically set aside for these most contentous of issues, that many people want to avoid. Enter here at your own risk. Besides- pretty much every religion thinks every other religion is wrong, so all religion is inherently bigoted. That doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about it- especially in here!

Likewise, since this forum is also for politics, you should be able to make generalizationg about what Democrats and Republicans stand for, for instance. There's no point having a religion or political party if there isn't a central core of beliefs. The same can not be said about ones race, nationality, or sexual orientation. Those are things you're born with (although race is the only one that is completely obvious AND unchangeable).

HoustonScott: I think your concern is unfounded. If you say "I disagree with Obama because his policies are socialist", that isn't racist (regardless of whether it's right). If you say "I disagree with Obama because he's black", that's racist. If someone is calling you out over racism when the issue of race was never raised or implied, they clearly have no argument left and are grasping at straws. I wouldn't worry about getting banned over that, unless you're using thinly vailed racism like...I don't know...calling black people "watermelon eaters" or something, where it's obvious what you're getting at.
I didn't say avoid talking about religion. Just don't be a bigot about others beliefs. You have yours and I have mine. We can civilly discuss our different beliefs, but don't go off going, " My beliefs are right and yours is wrong no matter what you say".

Same with politics. I hate people who go right down party lines and hate a candidate simply because he is a Democrat or Republican. For instance, some Republicans have criticized Obama for wanting to reduce our nuclear weapons. Saying how he is being soft, etc. And yet, Ronald Reagan said the same thing who they constantly use of how Republicans should be like....... It appears to me at least those people just hate Obama simply because he is a Democrat and have different beliefs as they do. As already mentioned by Houston, some Democrats say that Republicans who hate Obama are racists. Why must politics come down to mud slinging and talking points? Shouldn't we be civil and respectful to each others beliefs? Best of friends can be the bitterest enemies simply because they are unable to respect each others political beliefs.

I am not saying avoid discussing religion and politics. All I am saying is be civil and respectful with each other. Generalizing is not good. I am not a socialist because I am a Democrat and support HealthCare Reform and agree with a Public Option. And Republicans aren't racist bigots because they don't agree with Obama's policies. Just leave the extremist material out of the discussion and we could actually discuss things without going, " Socialist!!!" " Racist!!!!", etc.
quagmire is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 03:17 PM   #43
Peanuto
Private First Class
 
Peanuto's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Maryland

Posts: 122
iTrader: (0)

I just think any politics/religion section is a bad fucking idea unless you are willing to accept the backlash from the inevitable arguments. People get heated when they talk about their beliefs, whether it be in support of their race, religion, or political affiliation. It is begging for trouble.
Peanuto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2010, 03:19 PM   #44
carve
Major
 
carve's Avatar
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: usa

Posts: 1,098
iTrader: (0)

This is your opportunity to correct people on those talking points, and an interesting conversation will ensue. That's the whole point of this forum.

By merely saying "I belong to religion XYZ", you're saying you're right and everyone else is wrong. Otherwise, that wouldn't be your religion. Everyone can't be right, so that makes for a VERY interesting and heated conversation. Some parts can sound derogatory, but aren't. Saying "Sharia law is bigoted and cruel", for example, is a fact that we can support with evidence.

Last edited by carve; 04-26-2010 at 04:14 PM.
carve is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:37 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST