Please visit one of the specific Bimmerpost sites above  

Go Back   BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

04-26-2010, 03:24 PM   #45
Hawkeye
Brigadier General

Drives: '07 Z4 si Coupe, '08 R6

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
I don't know what you're trying to say, Houston. You write at a fourth grade level. It doesn't make sense.

Race is a genetic thing though, not a doctrine or belief. Prejudging people of a certain race based on their race is racism. Regardless, I'm not a mod, so I can't ban anyone. I was just posting the definition of racism.
Also, you used the commas incorrectly in your last sentence.

Thank God you cannot ban anyone.
Hawkeye is offline   No_Country
      04-26-2010, 03:30 PM   #46
quagmire
I am Gundam

Drives: 2014 Cadillac ATS 3.6 AWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by carve View Post
This is your opportunity to correct people on those talking points, and an interesting conversation will ensue. That's the whole point of this forum.

By merely saying "I belong to religion XYZ", you're saying your right and everyone else is wrong. Otherwise, that wouldn't be your religion. Everyone can't be right, so that makes for a VERY interesting and heated conversation. Some parts can be sound derogatory, but aren't. Saying "Sharia law is bigoted and cruel", for example, is a fact that we can support with evidence.
But, saying we should blow all the muslims off of the Earth certainly is a pretty good sign of religious intolerance. Same can be said for their extremists for wanting to, " Get rid of the infidels" because we don't agree with their beliefs.

That kind of discussion shouldn't be allowed.
      04-26-2010, 03:58 PM   #47
Peanuto
Private First Class

Drives: E92 335i Lemans Blue M-sport

Oh yeah, and even if its not racism, violent threats, or implied actions of violence, should be bans to. Regardless of whether it is just online gangstas playing who has the bigger dick, or threats of retaliation based on religious/political viewpoints.
      04-26-2010, 04:16 PM   #48
carve
Major

Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
Also, you used the commas incorrectly in your last sentence.

Thank God you cannot ban anyone.
Thank you for bringing that to my attention, professor obvious. It was intentional. If you want to get pedantic, I didn't use any commas in my last sentence. HoustonScott's question was legitmately difficult to read. I'm not a grammer and spelling Nazi by a long shot (I usually don't even proof my own posts) but questions should be intelligible if an answer is expected.

Back on topic, if we get too many rules on this forum that are completely subjective, it'll become a whiney mess of "I'm telling mod on you" every time someone is losing an argument. Victory through censorship. At least racism is a bit more objective. Even so, I think if someone started making racist remarks on here they'd get intellectually mauled. I say bring 'em on. Not all ideas deserve respect, and all ideas should be open for discussion. Banning should be reserved only for trolls who bring nothing to the conversation but insults.

[u2b]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOHABYhZ7a8&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kOHABYhZ7a8&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/u2b]

Last edited by carve; 04-26-2010 at 08:20 PM.
      07-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #49
nullrouted
Studying...

Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

Man, reading this thread is so much fail.

This is an INTERNET FORUM, people, or more accurately a SUB-FORUM dedicated to the highly contentious topics of Politics/Religion. We have lost our 1st Amendment rights almost everywhere else -- and now we're gonna celebrate losing them on the INTERNET? Really? You people need to get your heads examined.

Does a post offend you? Don't read it! Does a thread topic offend you? Don't open it! Or better yet -- make a better argument to the contrary and join the debate!

Sad that there is no place for free expression in this world anymore, everything (even FACTS) is/are called 'racism' - 'sexism' - 'bigotry' - 'homophobia' - Essentially there is no way to have a reasoned, critical debate of the issues anymore without someone (generally the loser of the argument) crying foul and using hyperbolic PC terms to describe the winner.
nullrouted is offline   United_States
      07-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #50
quagmire
I am Gundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Man, reading this thread is so much fail.

This is an INTERNET FORUM, people, or more accurately a SUB-FORUM dedicated to the highly contentious topics of Politics/Religion. We have lost our 1st Amendment rights almost everywhere else -- and now we're gonna celebrate losing them on the INTERNET? Really? You people need to get your heads examined.

Does a post offend you? Don't read it! Does a thread topic offend you? Don't open it! Or better yet -- make a better argument to the contrary and join the debate!

Sad that there is no place for free expression in this world anymore, everything (even FACTS) is/are called 'racism' - 'sexism' - 'bigotry' - 'homophobia' - Essentially there is no way to have a reasoned, critical debate of the issues anymore without someone (generally the loser of the argument) crying foul and using hyperbolic PC terms to describe the winner.
You have no 1st amendment rights on a privately owned forum. Just like if you walk into WalMart and start screaming racist crap, they have every right to kick you out since you're on private property.

Last edited by quagmire; 07-10-2013 at 11:41 AM.
      07-10-2013, 11:42 AM   #51
nullrouted
Studying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
You have no 1st amendment rights on a private forum. Just like if you walk into WalMart and start screaming racist crap, they have every right to kick you out since you're on private property.
Of course I realize that this is a private forum, I'm just drawing a parallel. However, creating a sub-forum topic that is sure to invite 'vigorous' debate and then seeking to limit that debate/threaten to ban is counter-productive to the free flow of ideas.
      07-10-2013, 11:48 AM   #52
quagmire
I am Gundam

Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Of course I realize that this is a private forum, I'm just drawing a parallel. However, creating a sub-forum topic that is sure to invite 'vigorous' debate and then seeking to limit that debate/threaten to ban is counter-productive to the free flow of ideas.
How is being racist productive in a political debate?? All that will do is lead to a uncivilized debate and everyone will look like an idiot.

A person earlier was worried that he would be banned because he disagreed with Obama thinking he was being racist. When that won't be the case. He can trash Obama all he likes. But, he has to be civil about it. He can't go, " That n word President did this!!!!! This is why n words shouldn't be president"

Stuff like that shouldn't be tolerated and those members should be banned for it.

Yes discussing politics/religion can get heated. But, a free for all shouldn't be allowed.
      07-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #53
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
Privately owned forum, owners/mods can do whatever they want. Agree with above poster, freedom of speech and racist remarks are totally different. If you can't communicate your thoughts effectively without making racial slurs or cussing, then you have some other issues you may need to look into.
      07-10-2013, 12:23 PM   #54
nullrouted
Studying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
This makes no sense. How does your first amendment relate to racism? Or how does racism relate to a reasoned, critical debate?

Seems to me only a racist would have an issue with this private forum rule. Or do you need racists remarks to make a point?
My point is that the terms racism/sexism/bigotry/etc... are applied to far too liberally in today's discourse. In some circles, even stating facts about certain protected classes is considered taboo/x-ism. I'm not advocating the use of slurs or other derogatory terms to make a point, those do not enhance an argument and as such I'm fine with limiting them. I'm simply saying that threats of bans, etc, unless applied extremely fairly and judiciously can stifle what is otherwise a legitimate debate about a topic, nothing more.

Full disclosure: I'm a libertarian, so take that for what it's worth in regard to these posts.
      07-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #55
Templar
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [5.00]
So then what about the right of the owners of this forum to run their business the way they see fit without outside intervention?
      07-10-2013, 12:50 PM   #56
grimlock
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: F10 N52B30@255PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
If you can't communicate your thoughts effectively without making racial slurs or cussing, then you have some other issues you may need to look into.
Ha, well said.
      07-10-2013, 12:53 PM   #57
nullrouted
Studying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Templar View Post
So then what about the right of the owners of this forum to run their business the way they see fit without outside intervention?
That's another 'contentious' topic altogether. The rights of private owners of things, say a business for example, have been steadily eroding for years.

Want to fire an under-performing employee who is a member of a protected class? lawsuit!

Want to refuse service to a member of a protected class (for any reason, even a legitimate one not related to their class)? lawsuit!

Want to drug test all of your employees -- but end up firing only those who fail, and those who fail predominantly belong to a protected class? lawsuit! (H/T to the other thread about US gov's lawsuit against BMW).

Want to hire based on skills alone and ignore protected class status? lawsuit!

Those are just a few examples, obviously there are many more.

So you see, private owners of most things actually have quite a lot of limitations on what they can do with the things that they own. I suppose it should be celebrated that the mods/owners here still have a large amount of control over the enterprise they have created for us here -- but give the regulators a little more time and you'll watch that power slowly disintegrate as well...
      07-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #58
nullrouted
Studying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
You are all over the place. This set of rules applies to this forum, you'll find thousands and thousands of forums with no such rules. You have the freedom to choose a forum that has no restrictions.
That is certainly true, and honestly I just happened across the 'off-topic' section today and decided to voice some opinions of what I saw. I doubt it will be a recurring theme, as you said, there are better places for such discussions. Didn't realize I would ruffle so many feathers
      07-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #59
M3Denver
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 BMW M3

I honestly have not seen a "racist" thread directly started. That being said if it did that is shitty. However, vigorous debate over issues should be aloud without the hateful words. Both aides should be able to express themselves with intelligence and class
      07-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #60
bosstones
Major

Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Denver View Post
I honestly have not seen a "racist" thread directly started. That being said if it did that is shitty. However, vigorous debate over issues should be aloud without the hateful words. Both aides should be able to express themselves with intelligence and class
The first I saw was one sometime last week. I'm guessing the OP was a troll since they had a low single digit post count.
      07-27-2013, 04:33 PM   #61
track_warrior
Captain

Drives: 2011 M3

Thanks for this, i seriously dont respect racist people.

Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
track_warrior is offline   United_States
      08-08-2013, 02:25 PM   #62
iknowitsfast
Private First Class

Drives: E90 335xi

I'm a new member here and its sad that this even needs to be enforced. But I'm glad e90post recognizes it and does something. thanks!