F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW seriously considering F20 1-series, X1 and smaller diesels for America
proTUNING Freaks

10-21-2011, 05:24 AM   #1
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: 640i, 120d, Cooper S

Garage List
BMW seriously considering F20 1-series, X1 and smaller diesels for America

I am sorry the story is in German, but management of BMW NA is almost promising the introduction of new 1-series, X1 and smaller diesel engines for North America. Take a look:
http://www.handelsblatt.com/unterneh...n/5351502.html

I am sure you can find the news in English some place as well
      10-21-2011, 02:30 PM   #2
335fourdoor
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

no comprende,capishe.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Good grief, get Chrome, problem solved:

New York , the Munich car maker BMW will pull away the competition in the highly competitive U.S. market with a larger model selection. "We certainly plan to go with the X1 to America", the new North American chief Willisch Ludwig told reporters in New York. BMW currently offers the smallest of its non-road vehicles in the United States.
Also, the compact 1 Series is here only as a coupe and convertible get. Willisch, who took up his job in early October wants the U.S. to offer customers more variety. Says BMW has brought back recently, the four-cylinder engines to America, but only in the first Z4 Roadster.
To date, started the engine range in at six-cylinders, smaller engines do not fit into the picture of a premium provider. This looks Willisch differently: "The Americans want to actually only torque, so they can quickly mount up on the highway. Because they do not care what's under the hood. "
Moreover, considering Willisch to take more diesel engines in the program. These are in many U.S. motorists still decried as lame stinker. But even in the United States are sensitive to fuel prices have risen and also get to the car manufacturer stricter rules for consumption. "A third of the X5 has already become a diesel engine," announced Willisch. "Since we are still nowhere near the end of the flagpole."
BMW currently supplies with Mercedes-Benz head-to-head race for the title of the leading premium provider in the United States. In addition, attacks Audi and growing rapidly. "As we have seen that we retain the customers and to gain a few new ones," said Willisch. Even the Japanese competition with Lexus (owned by Toyota), Acura (Honda) and Infiniti (Nissan) is strong.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 03:45 PM   #4
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Chrome or not - even I understand how terrible the translation is.....
Part of loving BMW is learning some basic German, so Guys, choose "German" under "Options" on your iDrive
      10-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I worked in Germany for five years, I can read it, but Google translation is still passable, at least to get the gist of the story. Most folks on this forum don't know it, so a translations should suffice.

The fact remains that we won't see the F20 in the US, manufacturing issues will likely keep the X1 out and our infrastructure doesn't support a large demand of passenger car diesel. However it does appear that we'll get a diesel F30, just not the old M57.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
However it does appear that we'll get a diesel F30, just not the old M57.
I agree in your comments about language and translation.

I don't know for sure, but my impression is that a lot of people still see the diesel engine as it was 20 years ago. "Fact" is that small diesel engines has undergone more development over the last 10 years than the petrol engine over the last 50. So it's a new world out there.
This is clearly to be seen in Europe where in many countries more than 50% of new car sales come from diesel. Here in Norway even 70% (also due to newly reduced taxes on diesel fuel compared to gasoline).

I never saw myself as a potential diesel buyer, but as a replacement for my Mini Cooper S I am seriously considering the 120d F20. I even plan to pick it up at the Munich plant and drive it the 1800 km home. Probably with only one tank stop
Sheer driving pleasure!
      10-21-2011, 05:12 PM   #7
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

I worked for Lufthansa and we had a carpool in Frankfurt. Being American, I scoffed at the diesel cars and always grabbed an E46 or an E39 gas model. It didn't take long to realize that diesel cars were making better time on the autobahn and were cheaper to fill up.

VW is really the only company that's had much traction with diesel in the US, BMW and MB have made attempts, but dont seem to get very far. The lack of an available manual in the 335i E90 always kept me away from it, but Id' happily buy an F30 if it has three pedals.

Did you have a Pantera in Norway? That had to be a sight! My dad had a 1973 GTS, it was a bit of a turd but sure looked good. I've been to Oslo a few times, and down to Stavanger, I'm jealous of your location, a truly beautiful place. Enjoy.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
Superspeed
Captain
Norway
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
I worked for Lufthansa and we had a carpool in Frankfurt. Being American, I scoffed at the diesel cars and always grabbed an E46 or an E39 gas model. It didn't take long to realize that diesel cars were making better time on the autobahn and were cheaper to fill up.

VW is really the only company that's had much traction with diesel in the US, BMW and MB have made attempts, but dont seem to get very far. The lack of an available manual in the 335i E90 always kept me away from it, but Id' happily buy an F30 if it has three pedals.

Did you have a Pantera in Norway? That had to be a sight! My dad had a 1973 GTS, it was a bit of a turd but sure looked good. I've been to Oslo a few times, and down to Stavanger, I'm jealous of your location, a truly beautiful place. Enjoy.
Hopefully BMW manage a breakthrough with diesel in the U.S this time!

I had a '80 Pantera GTS with the Group4 body kit. This was back in 1985, and I had fun with it for 10 years. A quite primitive and raw car, but with an incredible road holding. And with looks that turned heads!
Supercars (if the Pantera deserves that name) are quite rare to see in Norway, because of taxes based on horsepower, consumption and emissions. Allthough Ferrari seem to have a nice bite of the market, at least here in Oslo.

Thank you for being positive, but what we lack here is a continous and efficient high speed motorway system throughout the country. But a challenging topography also has it's advantages for a guy like me who loves letting the car stretch out on the back roads