E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Downpipes question

12-24-2012, 03:13 PM   #1
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Downpipes question

Hey guys, i'm looking to buy some DPs but I have a question concerning inspections. In MA, we have to do visual and emissions testing, so if i get catless DPs, how am i supposed to pass inspection?

I did a good amount of searching and the answer is either get the DP fix, or take out the DPs every time for inspection. I also saw that if you use a JB4, it doesn't throw any codes. I'm currently running COBB stg 1 agressive and know that i can clear codes but i don't think it'll pass emissions..

i needz input

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

For visual you will need stock DP's every time. For the scan you will need the DPfix, JB4 will clear the light/codes but it will not give the "ready" command or whatever that passes the scan inspection. so in any case you will need one or the other.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
For visual you will need stock DP's every time. For the scan you will need the DPfix, JB4 will clear the light/codes but it will not give the "ready" command or whatever that passes the scan inspection. so in any case you will need one or the other.
Yeah i figured i would need the dpfix. Is that just hardware that plugs into the ECU? That will work with any tune right.. not just a BMS tune?

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:39 PM   #4
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92driva View Post
Yeah i figured i would need the dpfix. Is that just hardware that plugs into the ECU? That will work with any tune right.. not just a BMS tune?
correct, you just plug into the appropriate pins in the ecu connector and yes it will work with any tune.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 03:44 PM   #5
e92oholic
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW GP

And as long as the 2nd cats are there no one should notice the dps. They are tucked away pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 04:16 PM   #6
Envuks
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 e92 335xi

DPs won't be noticed on the visual. You will need a DP fix.

18" BBS RGRs, KW v1, ESS Stage 2 flash, VRSF 7" FMIC, VRSF downpipes, JG Mods m-tech front, mtec V3 AEs, BMS OCC, hardwired valentine 1, p3cars gauge, amber delete, sport seats, factory oil cooler.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #7
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
I can confirm that the visual won't matter in MA. Only the OBD2 readiness.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
correct, you just plug into the appropriate pins in the ecu connector and yes it will work with any tune.
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e60oholic View Post
And as long as the 2nd cats are there no one should notice the dps. They are tucked away pretty good.
Yeah i wasn't too worried about the visual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envuks View Post
DPs won't be noticed on the visual. You will need a DP fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiago@VRSF View Post
I can confirm that the visual won't matter in MA. Only the OBD2 readiness.
Looks like i have to buy a DP fix. Do i need a DP fix if i have a JB4? I was thinking about changing just because of the ease of integrating meth/e85.

Thanks for the replies guys

Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 04:39 PM   #9
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good.

Looks like i have to buy a DP fix. Do i need a DP fix if i have a JB4? I was thinking about changing just because of the ease of integrating meth/e85.

Yes you will still need a dp fix in addition to a JB4. (At least you used to, I'm not 100% on that. )
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #10
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep
Quote:
Sounds good.

Yes you will still need a dp fix in addition to a JB4. (At least you used to, I'm not 100% on that. )
Alright sounds good.

Thanks a lot guys, I appreciate it

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 12:54 AM   #11
ek99civic
BMW Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Once you install the downpipes you can switch to Cobb stg2 and it will take care of the CEL. So you wont need the downpipe fix.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #12
reeltime
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ek99civic
Once you install the downpipes you can switch to Cobb stg2 and it will take care of the CEL. So you wont need the downpipe fix.
I read that somewhere but then they said that it won't pass inspection because the emissions wont be able to communicate with the car. I thought you had to remove the tune?

Appreciate 0
      12-25-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
TOS_335i
bs_335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
You do need the dp fix (Cobb just hides the dash light), but you don't have to remove the tune (if you're running any of the stage 1 maps). PA has the same inspection process, and I went through with no problems whatsoever.

BTW, my Cp-e DPs are currently for sale... I sold my car about a month ago.
      12-25-2012, 02:03 PM   #14
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Hey guys, i'm looking to buy some DPs but I have a question concerning inspections. In MA, we have to do visual and emissions testing, so if i get catless DPs, how am i supposed to pass inspection?

I did a good amount of searching and the answer is either get the DP fix, or take out the DPs every time for inspection. I also saw that if you use a JB4, it doesn't throw any codes. I'm currently running COBB stg 1 agressive and know that i can clear codes but i don't think it'll pass emissions..

i needz input
The majority of people who end up modding their cars go cattless DPs. If you go cattless you "risk" the following
  • Drone
  • Rasp
  • Smoking (from seals that are about to go due to no back pressure)
  • Not legal ie being busted
  • Will spend more money to have them uninstall/reinstall unless you do it yourself

If you want to stay clear from all the above, get downpipes w/ HighFlow Catts and have your mid catts removed later

Edit: Kinda figured I was going to get a back lash about the DP / Smoke statement on the side lines. So let me clarify.

Usually when people do DPs the next thing that is done are removing mid-pipes (sooner or later). I did not say you "WILL" blow your seals if you go cattless. I said you "RISK" the chance of smoking usually caused by seals coming to their end of life. This mostly happens (smoking) with those who are "completely cattless", which is one of those mod bugs when you start removing catts.

Being cattless but keeping your mid catts retains some sort of back preasure which in return "reduces" the chance of smoking like a chimney. However, you will still fail emissions unless you rig up something like a DP fix . Our turbos were designed to have some sort of back pressure and the seals on them suck azz badly.

My recommendations to the OP was to get downpipes with HighFlow catts and still pass emissions even if he decides to reduce more back pressure by removing the mid catts

Last edited by BQTuning; 12-26-2012 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0