E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Most cost efficient upgrade

12-16-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Cshuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i

Most cost efficient upgrade

I have a 2006 330i that I'm looking to upgrade but I was wondering what would be the most cost efficient upgrade? I want to see improvement in the handling without spending alot of money. I'm sitting on sports suspension.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Wider front tires. Makes a MASSIVE difference. Or go to a school like Skip Barber. You'll learn to appreciate your car more as it is and you'll really appreciate any mods thereafter.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW Duh

Springs will be the most cost efficient but the most effective will be a spring and shock replacement. Reason being is that your OE shocks will need replacement eventually so you end up saving on labor by doing the springs and shocks at once. I recommend the H&R Cup Kit or Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit for a spring/shock combo.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
twistedm3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i

I have to agree, tires do help. I have a 2006 330i w/Sport Suspension and have been running RE-11's for some time now. I'm still running the sport size widths, 225 / 255 x 18 at 33 and 36 psi (f/r), good car balance, turn-in and rotation, and even tire wear, much better than the RE-10's. The tires help almost everything .. braking, accelerating and cornering. Skippy school is a blast and you could also do a track day up north with a club like BMW CCA at Willow Springs.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #5
Cshuff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
Springs will be the most cost efficient but the most effective will be a spring and shock replacement. Reason being is that your OE shocks will need replacement eventually so you end up saving on labor by doing the springs and shocks at once. I recommend the H&R Cup Kit or Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit for a spring/shock combo.
What about getting new coil-overs? Is that different from getting new springs?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

Are you looking to drop the car while maintaining a comfortable ride? Do you want to be able to adjust the height of your vehicle? Do you want to adjust the damping? You have to answer all of these questions first before you can decide on which system is best suited for your needs. The answer is simple, you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on.

Your OEM shocks are not meant to handle the spring rates of an aftermarket springs. Doing so will decrease the lifespan of your OEM shocks and of course reduce your ride quality dramatically. Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $600-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more money doing it right the first time around and either get a shock/spring combo or go with the coilovers. I can't send you a PM due to your low post count so feel free to drop me an email here at Alan************.com and I'll be more than happy to provide you with some more information on a few different choices

- Alan
Appreciate 0