Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > BMW New Owner: NOOB QUESTIONS, AND WHEEL HELP!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-17-2011, 01:02 AM   #1
PlzCalmDown
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335XI

BMW New Owner: NOOB QUESTIONS, AND WHEEL HELP!

Hey everyone,

First off, BRAND new to forum, and just got myself a 2006 330Xi in Arctic Silver color. Not my first choice of BMW sport color but it is much different than the white and black I see everywhere.

Secondly, sorry if I'm posting in the wrong spot, feel free to move my post to the appropriate location, just make sure I still know where to find it. =)

I have searched the internet and forums inside and out, and I couldn't find one spot to answer all my questions with confidence, so sorry if this seems over asked.

Now the questions part, I'll try to organize this as best as possible so many someone can just copy paste and fill in answers =D

1. What is the Sport Package on the 2006 330Xi exactly? Is my car lowered etc? I read somewhere Sport Package includes 18"... my tires are 225/45R/17 on front and rear. Did I get screwed by dealership?

2. I want to purchase 19" staggered wheels and tires. I have read that it is perfectly safe and fine to do on an Xi model, hopefully that is true. I have found a set of wheels in my local area, how do I know what size they are? I know they are 19". But I see people say 19X8.5 or 19X10 etc. Do I just measure the wheel across to get that number and then find suitable tires? I am meeting the guy soon so hopefully I can measure and get proper numbers.

3. What size wheels should a 2006 330Xi get, again I'd like 19" wheels, but 19X8.5 etc? Again, if someone clarifies what the "8.5" means I hopefully will have a much better understanding to this.

4. Once I have the wheel size, what size tires do I need for that wheel size?

5. I read on a post, that if I change out the wheels and tires, I still need to buy Run Flat Tires for the new set. I also read on the same post that new wheels and non run flat tires won't work with the Run Flat Tire system. Can someone verify this?

Lastly, thanks everyone for taking the time to read this. Please keep in mind that I really want 19" wheels and tires without a whole lot of hassle. I don't want any issues with the X-Drive, I don't want my wheels to rub the wheel well or fenders of any sort, and I'd prefer not to have spacers etc added to wheels, I also really don't want car errors with Run Flat Tires etc etc. I think everyone gets the point. I'm a student with a part time job and I'm so used to my $100.00 for anything done to a Honda Civic and getting this BMW is a great milestone for me! And I don't want to ruin it in anyway!

Thanks sooo much everyone!

Wilson

PS, attached picture, this is the wheel set I wanted to purchase from someone locally. Does anyone have pictures or have opinions if the chrome wheels would suit my Arctic Silver/Metallic BMW? They are replica M3 Rims apparently, but he doesn't know what brand either, don't know if I can trust it? Asking price is $700.00 for all 4. Worth it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-17-2011, 05:47 AM   #2
John_01
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i, E82 135i

1. Msport 330xi isn't lowered, so it will look quite high when you fit 19" wheels.

2. Many people use 235/35 and 265/30 tires in a staggered setup. 235/35 and 275/30 is also fine for AWD car. Either of these sizes will be an ideal fit on 19x8.5 ET35 front, and 19x9.5 ET33 rears. You could also get 10" rears instead of 9.5" for these tires providing the ET (offset) is correct. If the vender can't tell you the size and offset specs of the wheels, then don't buy from them.

3. Normally an 8.5" rim can accept tire width in the range of 225 to 255, but ideally its best to use either 235 or 245 width on an 8.5" wheel. 265 tires are too wide for 8.5" wheels.

4. Its important to choose the right combination front and rear sizes so the diameter will match as closely as possible, otherwise there can be issues with the AWD system on your 330xi. Some people prefer to use identical front and rear sizes for this reason, but correctly sized staggered tires are also fine.

5. If you are asking about TPMS system, your car is a 2006 model, so you don't have any sensors inside the wheels for the pressure monitoring system. Instead there is a pressure monitoring system based on the rolling diameter using the ABS sensors. That system can be reset from iDrive or using the control lever so its ok to change to non-runflat tyres.

Getting run-flat tyres in 19" isn't a good idea because the ride will be very harsh and they will cost heaps. I think you should keep the standard 17" wheels if you want to use runflat tyres.

Personally I'm not a fan of chrome wheels. For your arctic coloured car I think hyper-silver colour would look better.
Appreciate 0