BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

03-12-2013, 07:28 PM   #23
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC
Well you are disregarding the entire concept of an oil filter. The whole point is that it can have bigger "holes" in the filter but the oil itself acts as a filter to "stick" to particals. So instead of a mechanical filter if you will, its a oil film filter that lets air through but sticks the dirt and particals.

So yes you can have bigger flow with not much more dirt go through due to the oil. That is why putting an oiled filter back in under oiled is devestating

I have 5 new BMC fitlers i replace every 10k miles as I don't like to clean and reoil mine.

The non-oiled filters obviously flow less as stated
Give me a break, you think I don't know about the principle of an oiled cotton and gauze filter.

If they filter so well, why is it recommended for you to use a filter sock on motocross bikes or ATV's? The reason is that an oiled cotton and gauze filter will let in enough dirt to dust the engine on those machines!!! I have seen it first hand!!!

You go ahead and use your aftermarket filters if you like, for maybe a 2HP gain I think I will choose to forfeit the 2HP and protect my engine!

The only filter upgrade I recommend is using the Euro Filter on 08 - 09 north american M3's

P.S.: I have done hundreds of hours of technical training on oil, fuel and air filtration! The engines I work on are close to $1million a pop so the company I work for is big on filtration and engine cleanliness in general!
      03-12-2013, 11:26 PM   #24
M3takesNYC
Banned
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
Give me a break, you think I don't know about the principle of an oiled cotton and gauze filter.

If they filter so well, why is it recommended for you to use a filter sock on motocross bikes or ATV's? The reason is that an oiled cotton and gauze filter will let in enough dirt to dust the engine on those machines!!! I have seen it first hand!!!

You go ahead and use your aftermarket filters if you like, for maybe a 2HP gain I think I will choose to forfeit the 2HP and protect my engine!

The only filter upgrade I recommend is using the Euro Filter on 08 - 09 north american M3's

P.S.: I have done hundreds of hours of technical training on oil, fuel and air filtration! The engines I work on are close to $1million a pop so the company I work for is big on filtration and engine cleanliness in general!
Geez don't bite my head off. I don't know your experience or expertise. If you think about it the average person here probably does not know how those filters work but in fairness to me, you posted the statement above that said (I paraphrase) "the only way a filter lets in more air is if there is more holes and lets in more dirty."

Which is not true as you seem to acknowledge to know that oiled filters can have bigger gaps that let air but use the oil to catch the dirt.

Chill man! I did not know you are an engine builder. Cool gig!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2013, 11:42 PM   #25
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:
Well you are disregarding the entire concept of an oil filter. The whole point is that it can have bigger "holes" in the filter but the oil itself acts as a filter to "stick" to particals. So instead of a mechanical filter if you will, its a oil film filter that lets air through but sticks the dirt and particals.

So yes you can have bigger flow with not much more dirt go through due to the oil. That is why putting an oiled filter back in under oiled is devestating

I have 5 new BMC fitlers i replace every 10k miles as I don't like to clean and reoil mine.

Jamie, you working on 797's?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 02:56 AM   #26
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkyg
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR
Quote:

Jamie, you working on 797's?
Yes, Cat 797's & 777's, Komatsu 930's, 830's & 1500's
      01-02-2020, 04:45 PM   #27
R-power
Registered
Italy
Rep
Drives: M3e46cs

Dears,
I was on the point of spending a kidney of my 23yo son
Buying a full eventuri used system (included the big element with the m3 v8 logo) more than 3k euros....
But I was a little bit in doubt if in a so big intake sys like the m3v8 the BMW guys in Germany has created an UNUSEFUL Set of components....
This topic is fantastic.
Lot of rational and experienced people.

I fully agree with you.
I remain only on an aftermarket filter.
I have a question
My car is European (I am Italian old guy) beg 2009 production.
Could be dangerous for my engine is I buy a filter without charcoal?

Then I use my car very rarely and completely on "clean ambient not dirty (If I take a wrong road with dirt or off road section I usually come back...) and I take care very frequently about filters...
In this case I can take oil filter without any pain?

Thx a lot for precious support and really again congrats
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 05:00 PM   #28
wyatth
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 ZCP

Any quality air filter will be fine for your engine. Oil vs dry is preference. Just keep it clean and change engine oil regularly.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 09:16 PM   #29
pbonsalb
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 18 F90 M5, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Get rid of the charcoal filter and modify the air box spring assembly if needed. I have an 08. Have not been running the charcoal filter since 2012. I use a macht schnell intake and filter.
Appreciate 1
Conzyo766.00
      01-02-2020, 09:32 PM   #30
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Sup
Attached Images

slcook541861.50
Silos555.50
      01-03-2020, 11:44 PM   #31
OmairK
Engineer
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 - 2011 E90 M3 6M ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by roastbeef View Post
Sup
Lol... This guy won.
Appreciate 2
roastbeef11580.00
      01-04-2020, 10:28 AM   #32
Helmsman
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E90 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Sup
Gorgious! You don't drive with the coupe filter boxes or just missing on the picture Roastbeef?
Appreciate 1
roastbeef11580.00
      01-04-2020, 01:04 PM   #33
roastbeef
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Quote:
Sup
Gorgious! You don't drive with the coupe filter boxes or just missing on the picture Roastbeef?
It's was just off when I snapped the pic. I'm a believer of the lid. This was when I was tapping it for threaded titanium hardware.