F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Need your honest feedback about BMWCCA
Studio RSR

11-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #67
Bill B.
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2, '13 X135i '15 S1000R

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I disagree completely - your definition of "enthusiast cars" differs from that of other members. But aside from that, what does the fact that BMW no longer builds E30s have to do with anything?
I'll throw my hat into this ring, regarding the definition of enthusiast... My feeling is that BMW actively discourages the DIY/Modding crowd. At first, I thought it was just a byproduct of the technological advancements combined with their goal of lowering total cost of ownership.

But as time goes on, BMW locks down more and more of the knowledge required perform even basic maintenance on the vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:16 AM   #68
SteveMD
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 F10 535i MSport

1.Yes - 7 years
2. Capital Chapter
3. N/A
4. Yes
5. Show and shines, maybe represent at the local Cars and Coffee which is huge (Hunt Valley, MD).
6. Advanced teen driving instruction.
7. Not sure.
8. Yes
9. The Magazine on its own is worth the membership fee but other than that, I do not get much out of the club. I am 50-60 miles away from my local chapter and most activities seem to take place in northern VA or DC.
2016 F10 535i M Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 10:40 AM   #69
Worra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is/6, 1995 540i/6

Garage List
1995 BMW 540i  [0.00]
2013 BMW 135is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSt|G View Post
They are missing the underlying issue of BMW no longer making enthusiast cars.

Long time CCA member.
I don't totally agree with this, but I understand the sentiment. I think it depends on what you define as "enthusiast" - that will differ from person to person.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #70
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill B. View Post
I'll throw my hat into this ring, regarding the definition of enthusiast... My feeling is that BMW actively discourages the DIY/Modding crowd. At first, I thought it was just a byproduct of the technological advancements combined with their goal of lowering total cost of ownership.

But as time goes on, BMW locks down more and more of the knowledge required perform even basic maintenance on the vehicle.
So does everyone else - as engines get more fuel-efficient and produce lower emissions, the ability to tinker with them diminishes without special tools, computer software, and knowledge. Think back about how big an engine it used to take to produce 300 net horsepower - and now we do it with 188 cubic-inch inline 6-cylinders that can get 30+ mpg. You can't do much to Porsches these days, but does that mean they're not "enthusiast cars"? Seriously, if that's what someone is looking for, they need to restore an old Camaro or Mustang and install a late-model crate motor, new suspension, big brakes and more or less spend the same amount as they would buying an M-sport 3-series, or a used 1M.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #71
StealYourFace
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M 6mt, E36 M3

1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently?
Yes
2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)?
Genessee Valley
3. If you are not a member, what was the reason for not joining?

4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter?
Several autocross and hpde
5. What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area?
more of the same
6. What activities would you like to see on a national level?
?
7. What type of programs would you like to see BMWCCA support?
Owners clinics at the local dealer
8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects?

9. Open comment / suggestion.
      11-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #72
07mike335i
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 335i

testing
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:17 PM   #73
cme
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 22 M3 xD Comp

Been a member since 1994. Have participated in various club actives at all levels and have to say they are a great organization. Whatever my personal opinions about the club, if you plan on buying a new or CPO'd car you need to be a member. I have purchased 3 new cars since 2002 and have received 3 checks totalling $2,500. I would say that is an awesome return on investment.
Chet
22 G80 M3 xD Comp
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:23 PM   #74
03BeastCharmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently? Yep, since 2006

6. What activities would you like to see on a national level? Oktoberfest sounds awesome, but it seems to be mostly east coast. Do two such gatherings / year, one on or close to each coast?
Ofest was at Laguna Seca this year, and will be in Colorado next year (unfortunately no track activities)

---------------------
My responses
Yes
Houston

Coffee events, autocross, annual dinner
Tech days/work sessions, adult car control schools.
As much planning that I see them working on for Ofest, I find it hard to see coordinating more national events. Would like to see the COTA event become a mini Ofest.
DIY car maintenance schools
8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects?
Not really.

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3, E39 M5, E36 M3
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 03:59 PM   #75
swartzentruber
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3

1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently? Yes.

2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)? Windy City

3. If you are not a member, what was the reason for not joining? N/A

4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter? Yes, track events, the occasional meeting, one driving tour, paddock for ALMS race

5. What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area? Current slate is decent

6. What activities would you like to see on a national level? As others have mentioned, either host or encourage groups of local chapters host regional ofests. Drives to CA are not a great option for those in the midwest, and I don't see the point of flying to one. I am also NOT happy the next ofest has no track, and I can say definitively without that I have zero interest in attending.

7. What type of programs would you like to see BMWCCA support? Street Survival, Roundel Magazine are all good.

8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects? I'd probably have interest in help with acquiring euro-only parts.

9. Open comment / suggestions. I will echo what others have said that while I joined BMWCCA primarily for track events, I'm finding others events much better in terms of track time, flexibility around instructors, and yes, possibly even safety. My last non BMWCCA event at Road America had 1-2 (if that many) serious off track excursions, while my last BMWCCA had 10+, some very serious. There are also so few people in my age bracket. I've used the rebate program twice, but since I don't find any new BMWs attractive right now, if I stop attending BMWCCA track events, I'll have no reason to stay a member, and will likely let it lapse. I did just renew for a year in September, so we'll see.
      11-04-2013, 04:26 PM   #76
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
I disagree completely - your definition of "enthusiast cars" differs from that of other members. But aside from that, what does the fact that BMW no longer builds E30s have to do with anything? Nobody in my chapter considers that an "issue", as we have quite a cross-section of models, all of which their owners consider to be their vision of an "enthusiast car". That's the common thread.
A car that you derive enjoyment from that can be owned for many years. Nothing they make currently is designed to last. And seeing as it is the BMW CAR club of America(not brand club), this is a serious problem.

That's before we get into the now non-existent driving dynamics that brought so many into the fold initially.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 04:48 PM   #77
VMcV3y
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC; 2012 M3 Cabriolet

Garage List
1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently? Yes.
2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)? Houston.
4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter? Coffee events
5. What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area? The local chapter does a pretty good dose of regular activities, actually. It's a well-run group.
I am very disappointed that they will not allow convertibles in HPDE's. Lots and lots of other groups, tracks, etc, will permit convertibles with ROPS; yet the BMW of America won't do that for, eh, BMW's. I've written to the national people on occasion and receive the same fact-less replies. For that reason, I won't/can't participate in official BMW track events. Pretty stupid and very alienating.

- V

2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic. >177k miles and still rocks!
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #78
Cizzle
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

BMW of Austin gives a 20% discount on part and services to BMWCCA members. This includes DINAN parts and services. Kind of makes it worth the membership cost if you plan on paying for parts and service through the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 05:01 PM   #79
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Yes

NJ

N/A

Only driver education

Tours of local VDC (they used to do that), more social events (bbq, wine tours, cruises, etc.), tech sessions

more charity events

yes

11-04-2013, 06:23 PM   #80
fboutlaw
Cone Cruncher
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan 135i

1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently? Yes
2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)? GGC
4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter? Yes, events only
5. What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area? More CCC's and HPDE's
Car showcasing. Event where you can drive any of the current models or some past ones. Allow people to get a feel for multiple models without the pressure of being in a showroom.
Sure, but instead of parts, I think vetted information would be way more helpful. Would actually be more interested in a moderated spec/mod database with expert opinions and recommendations. No offense to 1addicts, but without moderation you never know if your information came from a pro or a 16 year old kid.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #81
TheSt|G
Resident Tamed Racing Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 911, 130is, E39 M5, E36 M3

Yes.

DelVal.

-

Yes.

More events with BMW executives se we can voice our concern.

More campaigning for enthusiast cars/options, like manual on the E60 M5.

Driver ed.

Sure.

We need a greater connection with BMW corporate. We are the largest car club in the world and should have some sway. Every meeting and issue of Roundel I get is rife with concerned members. The marque has changed drastically and all the classic enthusiasts are losing faith.
      11-05-2013, 04:19 AM   #82
MZWIE
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2

Twice I was screwed out of the rebate for a new car. The last one was in 2008 when I purchased the 135. BMWCCA told me at the time they were not supporting the 1's purchased. That really just torued me. I was buying the car anyway...but the fact that they always make a big deal of the rebate and then renegged was crap.

So I'll stay on as member but only for the mag. The rest I'm not too impressed with.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #83
Iron Man
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Yes

Tarheel

N/A

Not yet, just joined.

DIY clinics and/or help with DIY projects

Don't care.

Drivers ed

Part reviews, supplier reviews, indy shop reviews, etc (kind if like Angie's List for BMW upgrades), so you can get ideas/experiences/feedback all in one location.

I think when it comes to track days/meets/etc., the BMWCCA has pretty good programs in place, but it would be nice to cater more towards people who want to work on their own cars and help train/give them more knowledge to allow them to do so (For example: You Tube video series).
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:04 PM   #84
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03BeastCharmer View Post
Ofest was at Laguna Seca this year, and will be in Colorado next year (unfortunately no track activities)
I heard about next year being here (which is awesome!). I also heard they're evaluating whether to have the track activities out at High Plains Raceway (HPR). So all hope is not lost!!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #85
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently? No

2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)? Sandlapper

3. If you are not a member, what was the reason for not joining? Don't quite see the benefit of joining at this point. Not many events, and I buy my BMW's outside warranty so discount does nothing. For parts, I already get the best pricing too.

4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter? Only dinner

5. What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area? A DIY session would be awesome. Maybe rent out a place with lifts and everyone pitches in helping each other. More events at the Performance Center since it's right in our backyard.

6. What activities would you like to see on a national level? I'd love to see a bigger BMW meet between SC/NC/GA/TN. Not completely East coast, but more than statewide

8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects? Not really for me. I get parts used for the most part

9. Open comment / suggestion.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure it's different chapter to chapter, but I'd like to see more hands on events that help people wrench on cars. Meet and greets are nice, but I'm ok with just going to Cars and Coffee.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 07:46 AM   #86
pseto
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP, F80 M3 ZCP- beater

bump for more feedback...

Become a BMW CCA member; Click HERE to join and use my member #339225 for a referral
Join our NCC Facebook Page
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 12:08 PM   #87
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Honda S2000, 2017 GT350

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [9.35]
2014 BMW i3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by r53s65e90 View Post
No. Used to be.

GGC

Track events too expensive and too rare compared to competition. Few events in my area (norcal). I did sign up twice for them just because I wanted to see what it is like, and they were cancelled twice. Autocrosses don't have enough drive time.

AutoX, Car control clinic.

Open up events to non-members for at least one or two events so that they are enticed to become members. Then charge the fee.

+1. My answers are pretty much the same. I think BMWCCA is great for the new driver trying to get their feet wet, but that's about it.

In addition to very few track events, they will still stick you in the beginner group because you've only done 1-2 track days with BMWCCA (and they only hold 1-2 events a year). I did 20 events (through other venues) in between 2 BMWCCA events, but those apparently don't count. Great people, but definitely tailored for that guy who bought his first BMW and has no real driving experience.

My pet project: https://stickershift.com
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2013, 05:22 PM   #88
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
1. Are you a BMWCCA member currently? Yep, since 2006

2. What is your regional club (if you don’t know just say don’t know)? Rocky Mountain Region

4. Have you attended any meeting or event with any BMW chapter? No meetings {yawn}. Mostly HPDE's, one AX, just got my Club Racing license.

5. What are activities you would like to see the BMW chapters do in your area? More racing, a la PCA

6. What activities would you like to see on a national level? Oktoberfest sounds awesome, but it seems to be mostly east coast. Do two such gatherings / year, one on or close to each coast?

8. Do you want BMWCCA to find ways to help enthusiasts with acquiring parts for projects? Sure, although we seem to use our regional forum for that quite a bit, along with this and other forums.

9. Open comment / suggestion. To me, the club has something of a Fuddy Duddy reputation, which lately it seems to be reinforced by the Roundel. I used to read mine cover-to-cover the day it showed up in my mailbox... now it sits. Maybe I've matured as a BMW owner in the past couple of years and don't crave the info like I used to. Or maybe I'm just sick of people talking about the damn dipstick. Don't know. I do know that the gents running BMWCCA are super nice and I really appreciate that they're looking for ways to reinvigorate the club.
Ditto for me. Especially the part about more racing!
Appreciate 0