E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Tyres for 19" Alloys

10-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #1
sow
Rep
Drives: 3 Series Coupe 320d Black

Tyres for 19" Alloys

Hi all

I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. I generally find what i'm looking for, unfortunately on this occasion I cant!!

I drive a 320d coupe M Sport with 19" M Sport Alloys on a 58 plate

I am looking for 4 new tyres Yes 4!!

I have got some really bad wear on all 4 tyres on the inside rims. I believe that the tracking must be out so i'm in the process of getting it re tracked.

I went to see a good friend who is in the tyre trade and he priced 4 new tyres up I need two 225 35 19 and two 255 30 19

the 225's were coming in at £168 each which were Bridgestones
The 255's were coming at £209 which were also Bridgestones.
Both of these are Runflats

I would like to put non runflats on but my friend said that the 255's only come in Runflats is this true?

Also anyone got any ideas on how to get the price down?

Many thanks in advance for all of your help

Cheers

Sow
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:25 PM   #2
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sow View Post
Hi all

I'm new here but have been lurking for a while. I generally find what i'm looking for, unfortunately on this occasion I cant!!

I drive a 320d coupe M Sport with 19" M Sport Alloys on a 58 plate

I am looking for 4 new tyres Yes 4!!

I have got some really bad wear on all 4 tyres on the inside rims. I believe that the tracking must be out so i'm in the process of getting it re tracked.

I went to see a good friend who is in the tyre trade and he priced 4 new tyres up I need two 225 35 19 and two 255 30 19

the 225's were coming in at £168 each which were Bridgestones
The 255's were coming at £209 which were also Bridgestones.
Both of these are Runflats

I would like to put non runflats on but my friend said that the 255's only come in Runflats is this true?

Also anyone got any ideas on how to get the price down?

Many thanks in advance for all of your help

Cheers

Sow

What a load of tosh. 255 section tyres are available in normal tyres as well as runflats.

You can also look at 235/35/19 and 265/30/19 tyres - it's called a "plus one" size but works very well on the 3 series.

Why don't you look at www.mytyres.co.uk and also www.elitedirect.com

The tyres below have all been recommended by various forum members -

Continental 5P
Michelin 5P
Vredestein Ultrac Sessanta
Falken 452

Continentals will be around £820 a set
Vreds around £620 I think
Falkens around £450
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 12:36 PM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Not much to add to Tony's excellent advice apart from you perhaps finding another friend who knows a bit more about tyres and won't try and tuck you up!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 01:44 PM   #4
toxicnerve
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M-Sport

Does doing the "plus one" thing throw out your speedo readings?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:00 PM   #5
Jeff123
Jeff
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport x-drive F30

The inner edge wear seems to be the norm on most cars with runflats. All of mine were buggered when I bought the car (BMW AUC) and I had to change the full set within 3000 miles. It was all down to inner edge wear that I (stupidly) did not realise would be a problem. Many people find that changing to non-RFT cures it, but personally I would also have a 4-wheel laser alignment once the tyres are fitted. I have Falken FK 452's and they are fine. IMO, expensive tyres are just not worth the extra money. OK, on a "track" day, an experienced driver may (or may not) feel a difference - but where can you actually use the performance of the car/tyres during typical driving these days?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toxicnerve View Post
Does doing the "plus one" thing throw out your speedo readings?
No - actually makes it more accurate (tiny tiny bit) as the OEM sizes (225/255) overread slightly on the speedo
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Jules6
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330d M Sport

Garage List
Love my Contis CS3s. 225 & 255 on 19" standard rims. No more crazy inner edge wear, better ride, cheaper, just all round better. Happy days

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
sow
Rep

Thanks for your respones guys, really informative. so just to clear up are the Falkens the best alrounder i.e cost to performance to mileage ratio. I do quite a few miles per year probably around 15k.

If I go "plus one" does that mean I go plus one on the fronts and backs or can I just do EITHER the fronts or the backs. Hope this makes sense!!

Once again thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2010, 02:48 PM   #9
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Thanks for your respones guys, really informative. so just to clear up are the Falkens the best alrounder i.e cost to performance to mileage ratio. I do quite a few miles per year probably around 15k.

If I go "plus one" does that mean I go plus one on the fronts and backs or can I just do EITHER the fronts or the backs. Hope this makes sense!!

Once again thanks
Plus one is both front and back

Some people will say the Falkens are the best because they offer cheap price with good performance.

Personally I would go for a higher performance tyre, even though the cost/performance ratio will increase. Those four black rubber circles are the only thing keeping the car glued to tarmac....

That's not to say the Falkens aren't good though - a lot of members on here swear by them so they must be ok, right?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 03:58 PM   #10
sow
Rep

Hi all

Thanks for all the great advice I ended up buying the plus ones on the Falken 452.
I had them fitted today but what I did notice was the strange wear on the tyres that came off. I took a picture so i'll try and attach it to this post to see what you guys think. I spoke to someone from the service department at BMW and they said it would be more than likely due to incorrect tyre pressure. It just seems a bit extreme for incorrect tyre pressure??

What do you all think?

Anyhow thanks again for your great advice.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:05 PM   #11
jordylad
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93 335i

What a load of bollocks
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:10 PM   #12
sow
Rep

Why?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #13
vblanche
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 E91 330xi auto

wheel alignment?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:20 PM   #14
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

my runflats (currently on my other alloys in the garage due to my winter set up) have worn similar although not as bad as yours.

FOR THE LIFE OF ME, I cannot get my head around how a tyre like in the pic you posted could wear like that & keep the car on the road without it feeling or handling strange. Cant be good for rolling resistance to wear like that,
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
sow
Rep

Tell me about it, I havent noticed any problems in the handling or drifting when going in a straight line. I failed to mention that this was the front tyre. I did attemt to get it laser tracked but the local garage didnt have the tow/toe in tow/toe out readings? for my year car (58 plate). And my local BMW dealer arent that helpfull as anyone from Hull will know all about!!

Do you think it will be worth while getting it tracked?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:38 PM   #16
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
I switched from 19" Bridgestone RFTs to Falkens, just as you have.

My tyres were similarly badly worn on the edges. I had a full Hunter alignment done at the time as the tyre place (Micheldever - so a well respected place) were convinced the alignment must be shot.
However, they tested it and it was all perfect. The new non-RFT have worn normally since then and are due for replacement soon. They have pretty even wear right across.

So I am sure the edge wear is a property of the RFT. The side walls are so incredibly stiff, I think the rest of the tyre must flex inwards during normal use and the sidewall stays pressed into the tarmac and this causes the wear.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:43 PM   #17
sow
Rep

The guys who fitted the new falkens said they see it all the time just never as bad as mine, to be fair I hardly ever check the tyre presure, this will have to change in the future. BMW recommend checking them every week!

How have you found the Falkens?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:44 PM   #18
jimmylad
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: e92 335d sapphire black

had mine 4 wheel aligned & most of my settings were in tolerance so I asked him to take as much camber out as poss but still leave it in tolerance.

I agreed to go back after 2000 miles to see how they were wearing but 2 weeks after having it done I put my winters on & not checked tyre wear but I doubt I have done enough miles for anything to show.

I will put the runflats back on come the better weather but once they are worn they are being replaced with standard tyres.

search "alignmycar" & see what comes up. Thats what I did.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 04:49 PM   #19
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
How have you found the Falkens?
At first I found them much more spongey and lacking feel compared to the RFTs to be honest. But the increase in comfort and keeping my fillings in place was worth the trade off.

I drive pretty hard and have done a few Nurburgring laps on the Falkens and in the dry they are pretty good. In the wet they are not as good as Conti's. They do lack the feel and precision edge of the RFT's but on a day to day car, the ride is just too harsh to live with.

I still believe they are the best price/performance tyre I've ever used. So I would definately recommend them to anyone.

I'm going Conti's this time because I found a cracking price online, but if I hadn't found that deal, I would definately buy the Falkens again and will probably use them in the future also.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:07 PM   #20
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
I still have the 19" Bridgestone run-flats on my car and there is no premature wear on the outside of the tyres, mainly because I keep the tyre pressures correct. Get the tyre pressures correct and you should have no problems.

The same will also apply to your new tyres as the rear wheels have negative camber built in and this punishes under inflated tyres.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2010, 05:13 PM   #21
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I still have the 19" Bridgestone run-flats on my car and there is no premature wear on the outside of the tyres, mainly because I keep the tyre pressures correct. Get the tyre pressures correct and you should have no problems.

The same will also apply to your new tyres as the rear wheels have negative camber built in and this punishes under inflated tyres.
Well maybe its different per car or per driving style because I check the pressures at least a couple of times a month and they rarely need adjusting. And the wear we are talking about here is the inner edge and is very hard to see without taking the wheel off.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2010, 03:37 AM   #22
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post

You are one of just a few I'm afraid.

As per many others, I'm meticulous with geo and pressures and have experienced very bad inner wear issues.

Owners evidence all over this board proves there is an inner wear issue with these E9x cars on RFT Bridgstones.

I switched to Falken452 and so far cannot fault them. They are ok in wet and very good in the dry and on track.