E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Onboard Computer Displaying Accurate Maintenance Schedules?

03-19-2014, 03:52 PM   #1
glennjoseph
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M-Sport

Lightbulb Onboard Computer Displaying Accurate Maintenance Schedules?

I just recently bought an e92 two weeks ago with 13k miles on it and I was looking through the iDrive menu at the Vehicle Info screen. Is the service information accurate?

It says my brake pads only need to be changed in 41,000 more miles and the other maintenance items are all displaying very high amount of miles before needing to be replaced. Does this information change dynamically according to your driving conditions or is it a fixed number set by BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjoseph View Post
I just recently bought an e92 two weeks ago with 13k miles on it and I was looking through the iDrive menu at the Vehicle Info screen. Is the service information accurate?

It says my brake pads only need to be changed in 41,000 more miles and the other maintenance items are all displaying very high amount of miles before needing to be replaced. Does this information change dynamically according to your driving conditions or is it a fixed number set by BMW?
Changes dynamically. The brake pads, for instance, have two wires that wear through: the initial one that the ECU uses to set a baseline, and the CHANGE IT NOW wire.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #3
glennjoseph
United_States
Rep

Oh wow. So my concern is with getting the Maintenance Program Upgrade. My Manufacturer warranty expires in March of 2015 (next year) and I've received quotes from local BMW dealerships for $1,795 which will add two additional years to my maintenance. Would I be better off going with the upgrade? I've heard brake replacement in itself is over $1k to replace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydarogers View Post
Changes dynamically. The brake pads, for instance, have two wires that wear through: the initial one that the ECU uses to set a baseline, and the CHANGE IT NOW wire.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #4
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by glennjoseph View Post
Oh wow. So my concern is with getting the Maintenance Program Upgrade. My Manufacturer warranty expires in March of 2015 (next year) and I've received quotes from local BMW dealerships for $1,795 which will add two additional years to my maintenance. Would I be better off going with the upgrade? I've heard brake replacement in itself is over $1k to replace.
It's up to you. But the parts for a front axle brake job are around $300 or less; rear is slightly more, and the way the brake system is set up the rears go first (40K on mine.) Lots of profit for the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 03:11 PM   #5
BKV122
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 330xi  [9.50]
Since you've had the car, how often have you've changed your brakes, oil, etc?. Based on that for the next 2 years do you plan on spending $1700 on maintenance?
You can probably get a brake job done at a local mechanic for much cheaper rather than at the dealer for $1k
      03-20-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
glennjoseph
United_States
Rep

I've actually only had the car for 2 weeks now, I won't need an oil change until next March (2015) and my brake pads should be good for another 30-45k miles according to my OBC. Not sure what else would need maintaining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKV122 View Post
Since you've had the car, how often have you've changed your brakes, oil, etc?. Based on that for the next 2 years do you plan on spending $1700 on maintenance?
You can probably get a brake job done at a local mechanic for much cheaper rather than at the dealer for $1k
Appreciate 0