XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #1
6lacksheep
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW X6M

Sub woofer Voids Warranty

2 days ago i bought my X6 into service because there was a lot of noise coming in through the doors. Since i was in there, i asked them to check the trunk lid liner to see if it was tightly screwed in. My new sub woofers were shaking it. Today i get a call from my Service consultant, saying that the techs that were checking the liner on my trunk also checked where the wires from my sub woofer went. They saw it was installed through the stock wires of my car, and they told me that if any of my electronics, i.e Idrive, radio etc were to malfunction, warranty would no longer cover it. I said to them they must prove that my sub woofers were the cause of the malfunction before they void any warranty, and the consultant said "yes, they would have to". When i got into pick up my car, and they gave me the report of what they did on my car, at the bottom it noted that the warranty for electronics were voided because of my after market sound system. My service consultant told me it was just a note, and the warranty has not actually been voided because they have not made claim through BMW yet. My problem is, non of the wires or cables went through the liner i told them to look at. Second i told them to check the liner and not my sound system or sub woofer. Do they have the right to look at something i clearly didn't tell them to look at? and has any one ever had problem with their electronics malfunction due to a aftermarket sub install?
Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2014, 11:14 PM   #2
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by askylitdrive View Post
2 days ago i bought my X6 into service because there was a lot of noise coming in through the doors. Since i was in there, i asked them to check the trunk lid liner to see if it was tightly screwed in. My new sub woofers were shaking it. Today i get a call from my Service consultant, saying that the techs that were checking the liner on my trunk also checked where the wires from my sub woofer went. They saw it was installed through the stock wires of my car, and they told me that if any of my electronics, i.e Idrive, radio etc were to malfunction, warranty would no longer cover it. I said to them they must prove that my sub woofers were the cause of the malfunction before they void any warranty, and the consultant said "yes, they would have to". When i got into pick up my car, and they gave me the report of what they did on my car, at the bottom it noted that the warranty for electronics were voided because of my after market sound system. My service consultant told me it was just a note, and the warranty has not actually been voided because they have not made claim through BMW yet. My problem is, non of the wires or cables went through the liner i told them to look at. Second i told them to check the liner and not my sound system or sub woofer. Do they have the right to look at something i clearly didn't tell them to look at? and has any one ever had problem with their electronics malfunction due to a aftermarket sub install?
Thanks!
That's BMW for you. Had the same problem with my 09 X5. They would not work on it until all was brought back to factory defaults.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 09:34 AM   #3
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Seems reasonable to me.

Probably part of their 'courtesy inspection'.
      03-13-2014, 09:40 AM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
They can't unilaterally void your warranty. They can deny coverage on a case by case basis for individual problems if they assert that the problem is due to changes/alterations to the vehicle. They don't have to prove it, they just have to claim it. Then you have to sue for coverage and prove that the problem isn't caused by the changes/alterations.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 05:21 PM   #5
zerrantoss
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6

Yep, they can simply just say "everything can void your warranty"'.

I asked my dealer if removing the fog lights will void my warranty, they said yes.
That's just silly...

Net time they probably will tell me farting in the car will void my A/C warranty.
Appreciate 0