F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > Returning my lease, should I take the BMW excess wear and use? (Inspection)
ARMA SPEED

11-29-2013, 11:53 AM   #1
andrewp7
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Arrow Returning my lease, should I take the BMW excess wear and use? (Inspection)

Hoping to get some advice!

I'm returning my car on Monday and I'm still debating on whether or not take the excess wear and use insurance ($1200)

I have 2 run flats with bubbles in them & my hood got keyed (white car, doesn't look obviously bad until you get really close.)

I am leasing a new car from them, but this is my first lease and I'm unsure of how they'll view those damaged. Should I take the insurance or roll the dice?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Hi there I am also located in Montreal and on my 4th lease. Where did you lease the car from? Laval or Canbec?

Before I give you my opinion, what is your kilometer allowance and what is your current mileage?

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp7 View Post
Hoping to get some advice!

I'm returning my car on Monday and I'm still debating on whether or not take the excess wear and use insurance ($1200)

I have 2 run flats with bubbles in them & my hood got keyed (white car, doesn't look obviously bad until you get really close.)

I am leasing a new car from them, but this is my first lease and I'm unsure of how they'll view those damaged. Should I take the insurance or roll the dice?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated!
      11-29-2013, 12:10 PM   #3
andrewp7
Registered
Rep

It's leased from Canbec, and I'm returning it to Laval. It has 62,000 of an allowed 80,000Km's
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #4
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

If you are leasing another car from Laval I wouldn't take the excess wear. You're bringing back a car with 18k km less than you paid for and frankly bubbles in the tires shouldn't be a problem. They ask for 4/32nd worth of tread which is almost the legal limit so they can sell these cars at auction. Didn't you get an inspection done from Datascan? Your report should be available online to see what they found that needs to be addressed before bringing it in. If I were you since I am bringing in a car with far less mileage than allocated and re-leasing another vehicle I would never take the excess wear but then again I'm confident I'd be able to negotiate if they wanted to charge me anything. My .02

Good luck
      11-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #5
andrewp7
Registered
Rep

Wow, ok I'll definitely take you up on your advice.

I haven't had the inspection, I kinda put it off and the car already goes back Monday. Is that a problem?

Can't thank you enough for your help!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewp7 View Post
Wow, ok I'll definitely take you up on your advice.

I haven't had the inspection, I kinda put it off and the car already goes back Monday. Is that a problem?

Can't thank you enough for your help!
No it's not a problem, the dealer will do a cursory inspection and then a secondary will be done by a third party I think. The guy in charge of lease returns at Laval is really cool, his name is Matthew Ursini. Speak with him and explain that you are leasing another car and he'll definitely help you if he can.
      11-29-2013, 12:28 PM   #7
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

As a footnote, for whatever it's worth, when returning my 2006 a few years ago they charged me a few hundred dollars for a small tear in the driver's seat that was caused from getting in and out of the car repeatedly while wearing jeans with rear pocket buttons. Car went back with less mileage too. I called them a few weeks AFTER taking possession of a new lease and told BMW Financial Services that I would not pay for that especially since I leased another vehicle and they immediately removed the charge.
      11-29-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Zamorskii
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '23 M3CX

Bubbles in tires sounds like a faulty tire and a warranty claim, so I'd try to maybe have them accept those and make a claim with a manufacturer. As for the scratch on the hood, it shouldn't be that much as 1200.

Typically, whatever you have in unused mileage is your loss, should have driven that. But you can try to negotiate, it never hurts to ask.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #9
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zamorskii View Post
Bubbles in tires sounds like a faulty tire and a warranty claim, so I'd try to maybe have them accept those and make a claim with a manufacturer. As for the scratch on the hood, it shouldn't be that much as 1200.

Typically, whatever you have in unused mileage is your loss, should have driven that. But you can try to negotiate, it never hurts to ask.
I agree with you but the car will fetch quite a bit more at auction with 12k less on the odometer so that is what I would use as a bargaining chip along with another lease which weighs heavily in the OP's favor. There's no way they should charge him.
      11-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #10
fshubert
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 335i

About 90-days before my leases ended I got a package from BMW that I would use to measure tread depth (to see if I would be charged) and dings (if the ding was in the ring, it was not a chargeable item). They do that in Canada? My cars always came back light on mileage and the dealer CPO'd them (they told me later). I've never been charged and it sounds like the OP should not be either (especially given that he is taking another leased vehicle).
      11-29-2013, 02:32 PM   #11
eekthecat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 428i

How does this work? My CA has said that they're separate from the lease return dept. I'll be returning my car with only 13k our of my 36k allotted miles...
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eekthecat View Post
How does this work? My CA has said that they're separate from the lease return dept. I'll be returning my car with only 13k our of my 36k allotted miles...
Dude you might want to check what the going value is on that car. It might be more than you owe on it, in which case buying it from BMW and selling it yourself might yield a few thousand $.