F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > Cricket Fans?
proTUNING Freaks

01-23-2011, 03:38 PM   #23
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep
Drives: for the fun of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitekid2002 View Post
I can't believe there's all this activity on the Cricket thread; but no active Football/Soccer thread going...disgusting
I wanna get into epl football but I don't really have a team. I love WC football
      01-23-2011, 05:57 PM   #24
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

You could land a space shuttle in the net and most games have a total of 2 goals - riveting...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 07:02 PM   #25
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1love View Post
Woot! It was a nail biter at the end but we hung on. I must say I'm surprised how well Pathan played, if only he had hung on a few more overs India coulda won.

Overall I enjoyed this tour. First time I've watched tests and odis in a long time.
What a bummer. SA definitely outplayed India in the final - Pathan's innings was too little too late, although he nearly took them home. He seems to be in great form, although the rest of the batsmen seem to have been caught napping.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #26
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
You could land a space shuttle in the net and most games have a total of 2 goals - riveting...
Ironic when the goal posts in American football look like runway landing lights .

But let's not go into who's sport is better. After all this thread is about cricket, if you don't like it then shoo
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 07:19 PM   #27
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Should rename it to the peasant sport thread

GO CELTIC
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2011, 02:54 PM   #28
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I'm just going to throw it out there and see if anyone watches/follows cricket.

Plenty going on in the world of cricket, with England holding on to the Ashes and an epic duel b/w India and S. Africa
I follow all sports, cricket included.

Of all the sports I played, batting in cricket I found the most satisfying...there is a combination of power and mental thinking involved.

No real good teams out there, South Africa have that pace attack but inconsistent otherwise; INdia have good and capable batting (esp tendulkar, who remains...probably one of the greatest sportsmen ever, he's classy, consistent, and old, and still scores more than anyone), but India have bowling problems -- no good pace bowlers.

Pakistan is always a wild card, they had good pace bowling as per usual, until they got banned for illegal deeds. Their batting is always hit and miss.

Australia has really fallen; too many 20 20 shots...ujnable to complete 50 over cricket or test cricket. Bowlers have lost their lustre too. Where is Brett Lee? is he injured?

NZ...is NZ, they're fun
England is doing really realy well !!! <--- I think england might be an unusual wild card for the world cup...they're batting and bowling is excellent.

I'd say either England or India for WC...if I had to decided, I'd say India will crumble under pressure, though they are playing at home where their powerful batsmen (Yuvraj Singh, Dhoni, Pathan, Sehwag, Tendulkar) can be devastating in 50 overs. Singh, Pathan, and Sehwag are especially devastating. So can Pakistani and Australian batsmen, on flat tracks.

England have been doing it though -- on form they're good!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 06:41 PM   #29
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post

Of all the sports I played, batting in cricket I found the most satisfying...there is a combination of power and mental thinking involved.

No real good teams out there, South Africa have that pace attack but inconsistent otherwise; INdia have good and capable batting (esp tendulkar, who remains...probably one of the greatest sportsmen ever, he's classy, consistent, and old, and still scores more than anyone), but India have bowling problems -- no good pace bowlers.

Pakistan is always a wild card, they had good pace bowling as per usual, until they got banned for illegal deeds. Their batting is always hit and miss.

Australia has really fallen; too many 20 20 shots...ujnable to complete 50 over cricket or test cricket. Bowlers have lost their lustre too. Where is Brett Lee? is he injured?

NZ...is NZ, they're fun
England is doing really realy well !!! <--- I think england might be an unusual wild card for the world cup...they're batting and bowling is excellent.

I'd say either England or India for WC...if I had to decided, I'd say India will crumble under pressure, though they are playing at home where their powerful batsmen (Yuvraj Singh, Dhoni, Pathan, Sehwag, Tendulkar) can be devastating in 50 overs. Singh, Pathan, and Sehwag are especially devastating. So can Pakistani and Australian batsmen, on flat tracks.

Nice analysis. I think this might be one of the less predictable 50-over world cups of the recent past. It's hard to argue that there is one favorite or dominant team out there; my money is on SA or India to bring the trophy home. England is definitely coming of age in the last few months, so it'll be interesting to see how they perform in the subcontinent. You can't ever discount Pakistan or Australia, either - both have boatloads of experience on these sorts of pitches.

Either way, we're in for an exciting few months, with WC followed by the IPL !
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2011, 08:37 PM   #30
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post

NZ...is NZ, they're fun

Nicely summarized, although you forgot the Sri lankans. I really hope South Africa can pull together a strong showing this time around now that expectations are low and they have the ability to experiment with the lineup.

Although batting is fun, I personally find more satisfaction in pace and spin bowling. I love the aggression and guile.
      02-13-2011, 08:04 PM   #31
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Wow can't believe aus lost that game. They got exposed badly
      02-16-2011, 02:06 PM   #32
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Wow can't believe aus lost that game. They got exposed badly
It's just a warm-up, but yeah, Aus look fragile. SA seem to be very comfortable in the subcontinent.

India thrashed NZ, which doesn't mean much. The batting seems to be coming together, but Yuvraj needs to find some form, and Tendulkar + Sehwag seem a bit rusty after their injuries.

Can't wait till the opening game!!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2011, 09:49 PM   #33
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Good lord dhoni it's called mercy! Poor NZ.

How are you guys planning on watching the games? Apparently Willow sued against other sites that were leaching so there's not much choice for us. But I can't swallow $130 for streaming video.
      02-16-2011, 11:51 PM   #34
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Good lord dhoni it's called mercy! Poor NZ.

How are you guys planning on watching the games? Apparently Willow sued against other sites that were leaching so there's not much choice for us. But I can't swallow $130 for streaming video.
I refuse to pay $130 for streaming video, especially since I don't have time to watch even half the matches.

I plan on either waiting for the prices to go down (willow typically drops their subscription price as the tournament progresses), or just go downtown to an Aussie bar that shows cricket matches.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 05:01 PM   #35
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Well, the opening match result wasn't too surprising. Sehwag looks to be in better touch, injuries and all. Nice way to start the tourney!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 06:52 PM   #36
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Yea...only positive from that game was sreesanth getting lit up.
      02-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #37
serge_chez
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i E90

I've always wanted to learn the rules and game of cricket. Any good videos on a game or about the basics of this sport you guys could link me?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 11:26 AM   #38
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by serge_chez View Post
I've always wanted to learn the rules and game of cricket. Any good videos on a game or about the basics of this sport you guys could link me?
This is a nice explanation I've found, although it's not a video. Try to couple reading this to watching a few cricket video clips, and you will be able to pick it up fairly quick. Feel free to post any specific questions you have here!

http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/hoski...xplanation.htm

A continuous (older) clip of cricket to watch as you're reading ->
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #39
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

I caved and bought willow streaming. Gonna get up early and catch a couple hours of the game tomorrow. Can't wait!
      02-24-2011, 10:23 AM   #40
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I caved and bought willow streaming. Gonna get up early and catch a couple hours of the game tomorrow. Can't wait!

I'm holding out as long as I can.

Ominous performance by SA. Can't wait for the India-SA showdown at the end of the group stages.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 06:31 PM   #41
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Yea Saffies looked good overall. Big props to Botha for getting Gayle and Bravo, no choking this time! But Smith again failed to impress with the bat, it was painful watching him. Sigh.

Ireland practically gave that game away. Coulda put bangladesh in a real hole too.
      03-02-2011, 05:48 PM   #42
OneManXi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328Xi

How about Ireland shocking England. O'Brien 100 runs off of 50 balls?...THATS 1MPRESSIVE! haha
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 09:24 PM   #43
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManXi View Post
How about Ireland shocking England. O'Brien 100 runs off of 50 balls?...THATS 1MPRESSIVE! haha
I couldn't believe this until I read it. How did that happen??

Impressive Ireland, but England...all that talent against India, and now this?

Either way, two great matches in 3 days. This is shaping up to be an amazing WC
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2011, 08:00 PM   #44
Sephiroth
4-6-8
India
Rep

Hahahah i couldn't stop laughing after Ireland won. What an epic comeback.

This is a good weekend for cricket. Can't wait!